Is it time for a neck lift? (photos)

In the last 3-4 months, my neck skin seems to be melting rapidly! It's a dramatic change in a very short period of time. I had Ultherapy in Feb 2014 and I'm now on my 3rd Thermismooth treatment of a series of 6, with no noticeable improvement. I'm embarrassed that I can't seem to fix this w/o surgery, but I'm fearing that a neck lift (maybe face too?) is what I need. Thoughts? Advice?

Neck Lift

You look like you are in your thirties?  I think a minimal incision facelift will likely improve your primary concern which is the submentum.  You are fortunate to have such a long neck so any correction should involve only the lower face along the mandible and the submentum 

Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

A good option for someone with eome extra neck skin in their 30's 40's

There are a few options to consider that may improve your problem, however it sounds like you have tried one of them. 

A Neck lift would be the solution that demonstrates the best results. This is a surgical procedure but can be very effective. The scars are typically hidden behind the ears but some people need a small incision under their chin as well. Most people have about a week of downtime after the surgery. The vast majority of people have minimal pain, some bruising and a low chance of significant side effects. 

The radio frequency treatment you are getting can be great for some people, but if it is not working for you, you have two choices. One would be to see another treatment group and try a different type of radiofrequency skin tightening machine. I am not convinced this would work, but you never know.  Or you can go for the neck lift. 

Good lucky with your decision. 

James P. Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
JB Cosmetics and Facial Surgery Center of Ottawa
Head and Neck Surgery
practicing in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Assistant Professor, University of Ottawa
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift surgery in Los Angeles

You appear to have a dehiscence of your platysma muscles in the midline of your neck. This would likely benefit from midline platysmal plication to tighten the upper and lower neck. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Is it time for a neck lift?

In your case all these 'non invasive' therapies are useless. You need surgical neck lifting............

Neck Lifting -- Surgery or Not

There are not too many great options for neck tightening, besides surgery and plastysmaplasty IF someone is a candidate.However, there are some good noninvasive options. Botox works to tighten the muscles of the neck and jawline; fillers into the lateral neck and skin folds work great to fill out lines and give lift; radiofrequency treatments like sublative/viva, laser treatments fraxel/clear and brilliant/co2 help texture and tone as well as give lift; ultrasound (ultherapy) and deep radiofrequency (thermage, velashape, venus legacy) can help give tightening and lift as well but often require more than one treatment and are best combined with the other mentioned treatments and by doing the full face rather than just the neck. I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon who specializes in noninvasive options and thinks outside the box. Best, Dr. Emer.

Neck left to help with platysmal neck bands

In our practice, a neck lift involves removal of fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle, and a platysma-plasty to tighten the muscle cords in the neck.  If the skin tone is acceptable, a neck lift can be performed. When there is loose and excess skin present, a skin excision will be required which consists of a lower face and neck lift.

Is it time for a neck lift?

There certainly is nothing wrong with trying non-surgical skin and neck tightening treatments.  We use Protege RF for these.  When these treatments don't accomplish enough tightening of excess skin of the face and or neck, a short incision facelift with limited tissue dissection can remove the excess skin while tightening the underlying SMAS muscle all in a 90 minute procedure with very little bruising, swelling or downtime.  Hope this helps.

Time for a Necklift

Your non-invasive treatments have not improved your neck. I suggest you consider a neck lift to treat the bands which bother you. Consult with a surgeon experienced in facial rejuvenation.

Is it time for a neck lift?

If you are looking for more neck definition and smoother contour, then yes, it is time for a neck lift. I think you have maxed out on the benefits of the Thermismooth treatments.

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Is it time for a neck lift?

I think the only way to see a tighter jawline and submental area would be to remove some skin with a neck lift. Sorry.

Julio Garcia, MD