Is it possible that the lateral eye bag that I still have 1 month post-op blepharoplasty is still fluid drainage or swelling?

My doctor recommended an upper and lower bleph along with a mid cranial forhead lift after I saw him for c/o under eyebags. 1 month post-op and I'm fairly satisfied, but my right side eye still has a lateral eyebag. I've seen the doctor and his staff 1 week following the surgery and voiced my concern then, but I was told it was fluid draingage and swelling from the surgery. It's been 4 weeks and 2 days but it's still there. I'm unhappy with this results if this is it.

Eyelid fat pocket

Eyelids swell very easily.  Most of us have woken up after eating too much salt, or having a tough night and had swollen eyes.  After eyelid surgery it is possible for swelling to persist for quite some time.  On the other side it is certainly possible that a little bit of excess fat is still present.  This is most common in the outside corner of the eye.  I would wait 3-6 months and then discuss this again with you surgeon.  It is possible that you may end up needing a touch up to remove a little more fat.  While it would wonderful if every operation ended up with the perfect amount of fat removed, however, everyone heals a little differently and it is much better for a surgeon to be conservative with surgery and to occasionally leave a little fat behind than to take too much.Hope this is helpful.  

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lateral fat pocket

It may be swelling or it may be a fat pocket. You will have to give it time to settle at this point and re-evaluate in 4-6 months.

Lateral fat pad after bleph

At one month you may still have some swelling.  Need to give it more time to heal.  This is a fat pad that can persist at times after lower lid bleph.  If it is still obvious at 6 months, you can have more of it removed. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Depends on how much swelling

The bag can be fluid and depends on how much swelling you had after surgery.  If you suffer from allergies, your swelling can be more significant and last for a longer period of time.

Vijay K. Bindingnavele, MD
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

Post op swelling

You either have some residual fat in the lateral compartment or swelling. I would recommend giving it at least 3 months total. Swelling after facial surgery is common and as this resolves the area your find objectionable may improve. If not, a small revision may be necessary. Check with your surgeon.

Healing Post Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for your question. For the majority of patients, it can take up to one year for all of the subtle swelling to resolve after eyelid surgery. There will also be good days and bad days, good weeks and bad weeks. You can perform lymphatic drainage by massaging from medial to lateral. It can be difficult to remain patient. Voice your concerns with your surgeon. He or she wants you to have a good result as well. The time to evaluate the final result is at one year.BEST wishes.

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon