Would dermal fillers help my acne scars? (Photo)

Hi Dr, can you suggest the treatment for my acne scars that I have carried about 10 years? And I am very interested in the Dermal Fillers because I have go to work 6 days per week, I don't know much time for staying at home for some the other treatments. Thanks.

Best treatment for acne scars with no downtime

If you already have deep-pitted acne scarring, don’t fret. Luckily, there’s a number of different non-invasive dermal fillers available to help erase those marks. Acne is the most common skin disorder and there has not been a proven treatment to fill those scars to create smooth skin. I recommend  Bellafill to fill in acne scars.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Hi There,

I am not convinced that fillers are the best option for you. 

There are some great options you may not be aware of. There are types of lasers that are called "non-ablative" lasers that do not burn the skin and have minimal downtime. These treatments can really help in some people. If you find that you have redness or brown colors in or around the scars, IPL treatments can also help minimize the appearance. 

I would, from my perspective look into these options first as they will hopefully give you a more long lasting and permanent effect on your acne scars. 

James P. Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Head and Neck Surgery
practicing in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Assistant Professor, University of Ottawa
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermal filler for acne scars

There is currently one filler indicated for acne scars and it is Bellafill. It is a bovine collagen product that can be injected to improve appearance of scars. Prior to the injections a small amount of Bellafill is placed under the skin on the forearm, to test for allergy to bovine collagen which patients may not know they have. Bellafill can last up to 5 years and entails small injections that present tolerable discomfort. The injections can result in temporary swelling, redness and or bruising. The undesirable side effects have been reported such as “nodules” and any injection carries a risk of infection. Of course an in person consultation will give the trained injector a better opportunity to examine your skin and suggest additional options for skin care.

Tatiana Khrom, MD

Dermal fillers for acne scars

In my office, we have had a great deal of success treating acne scars by combining filler injections with medical micro-needling. Initially, hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane are injected, sometimes with subsicion of the larger scars. This is followed by a series of four to six monthly micro-needling treatments using human growth factor serums. I recommend using growth factor serums made from human stem cells rather than platelet rich plasma because PRP is strongly pro-inflammatory (not good). These treatments work by stimulating the skin to create more collagen and elastic fibers, resulting in thicker, healthier looking skin with greater improvement in the appearance of the acne scars.
When comparing the option of medical micro-needling vs laser treatments, there are scientific studies showing micro-needling can give as good or better results than fractionated lasers and at a fraction of the cost! In addition, micro-needling is not associated with hyperpigmentation from the treatment which is a common problem with lasers. This would be especially important with your skin color.
In my office, we use the ProCell Therapies system which combines motorized micro-needling with concentrated growth factor serums made from human bone marrow stem cells. The larger sized treatment tips have faster treatment times with less discomfort. Our patients also maintain their improvement by using ProCell Therapies growth factor serums at home after their office treatment.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

I would recommend a combination treatment with subcision and erbium fractional laser for you scars.

In my hands a single treatment with subcision for the contoured scars and aggressive fractional ablative erbium laser for the pitted scars will give you the best results.  With this treatment I think you would get great results in a single treatment. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Well-performed microdroplet Silikon-1000 injections may be useful for correcting broad-based, depressed acne scars..

Internet photos are not a substitute for an examination, but you may be well-suited for microdroplet silicone injections for your acne scars. Your Asian skin tone makes resurfacing procedures like laser, dermabrasion, and deep chemical peeling problematic. People with darker skin types, like yours, are more prone to get complications after resurfacing - hyperpigmentation, scarring, hypopigmentation. In our experience, fractionated laser treatments, which may be considered for Asian skin, have not led to satisfying results.

In our practice, in select patients, we prefer to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results. There is no downtime, and procedures are nearly painless.

Wishing you well.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermal Fillers For Acne Scars

Co2 laser with PRP and microneedling would give you amazing results. If you go to someone experienced in lasers and treating dark/ethnic skin there is little risk for long term complications. You will need appropriate skin care to prevent long term hyperpigmentation, but you will get significant improvements with co2 resurfacing. If you are not willing to have downtime you can get improvements with fraxel or sublative treatments, but they will take many more treatments. Fillers work very well for some specific scars, I like artefill or radiesse but HA fillers can be used to give a short term improvement. A formal consultation with a well trained cosmetic dermatologist who is an expert in scars is essential. Best, Dr. Emer.

Ance scar fillers

As Dr Berkowitz states in his response. Worth a try but quite expensive and results are unpredictable to me... 

Bellafill ( Artefill) Is The Only Filler Approved For Acne Scar Treatment

Tuyenbeck721  I have successfully been using Bellafill for acne scar treatment  for several years.  It was recently approved for this indication by the FDA; and is the only filler with this distinction.  It is a nice soft economical long term filler.  For some I enhance this with laser resurfacing but that can lead to downtime which I understand you wish to avoid.  It is important to go to a cosmetic surgeon with experience with this or any other filler.  I , currently, am the number one provider of Bellafill in Michigan,Ohio and Indiana and teach other doctors its correct use.  I would be happy to work with you.  Of course, a complete consultation and exam are necessary to determine if this is the best filler and treatment option for you.

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon