I was interested in a mommy makeover and he quoted me $21,608.00. Does that seem right to you or am I being taken for a fool?

$13,878.68 for abdominoplastry; breast augmentation/lift Stated he gave me a $2,600.00 discount But then added $7,730.00 fee for the "surgery center" Facility fee is $4,225.00 Anesthesia fee is $1,705.00 Silicone implants are $1,800.00 Does this seem right to you?

Your MM quote

Cost factors vary significantly for a number of good reasons: Prices vary greatly because the surgery itself encompasses a wide range of techniques that can be performed to different extents. My recommendation is to first find the most qualified surgeons where you want the surgery performed that are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you trust, then compare prices between them. See the below link on suggestions on how to find the most qualified plastic surgeon for your procedure. General Factors that influence the price of plastic surgery include:

1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctor’s office? Geographical location also has a significant influence. RealSelf has average charges for most areas of the USA.

2. Type of Anesthesia - local, IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, or an RN be used?            3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best and longest trained is most often a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery           4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how difficult will your surgery be and how long it will take, etc. Will other complementary procedures also be also performed during the same surgery?

Fees for mommy makeover

The facility fee appears to be a bit high. But the costs vary widely in different locations and in different surgery centers. Certainly for the time to do the surgery this is not an unreasonable fee for the surgery center to charge since they could make much more money doing procedures that are covered by insurance in the same time.

The surgical fee is also on the upper end of the scale, I'm sure that if you looked around you could get this at a lower rate. You should however bear in mind that some surgeons charge more than others. You are paying for the skill of the surgeon and this may be worth it.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Too high

Thank you for your question.  Although surgeons can charge whatever they want, this seems way too high.  Put it to you this way; as a plastic surgeon, if I were a woman wanting to have this operation, I would definitely not pay this much.  There are many excellent plastic surgeons around the country who offer this procedure at a reasonable market value price.  Be sure to consult with several different experienced board certified plastic surgeons.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

MMO

It does seem expensive
We charge low to mid $7000.00 for a standard MMO (regular TT, breast augmentation (no lift) and lipo of the waist.

Find another surgeon

This is very high.  I would seek the advice of a different surgeon. Or perhaps several different surgeons.  It would be probably in the $15,000 range.

Reduced Cost with Combined Procedures

Combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries noted above. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.If you are feeling that the quote you have received seems a little high, you should be able to have some additional consultations to compare costs and procedures available from other surgeons. Note that different factors affect the price of your surgery, including location, anesthesia, hospital, and more. Best of luck to you!

Cost of plastic surgery

Costs of plastic surgery (facility, anesthesia, surgeon's fee) vary significantly from doctor to doctor and place to place. Basically surgeon's can charge whatever they want- that doesn't mean you have to pay it. Consult with multiple plastic surgeons and choose based on skill, credentials, online reviews, before/after photos. I realize price is a factor, but it should not be a large factor in your decision. If you feel 21,000 is too much, then don't pay it. This is elective surgery. You don't need to have a tummy tuck and breast augmentation/lift but find a good surgeon that may be more in your price range.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Cost

Cost varies dramatically between surgeons and cities. There are number out factors to consider, but in general, surgeons within be city centre will charge more given higher operating costs. Surgeons with greater experience may charge more, and an overnight fee will likely be applied given the extent of the procedure. The fee you were quoted seems to be in the right ballpark, but it's always worthwhile having more than one opinion. Regardless, don't choose your surgeon based solely on lowest price. 

Arko Demianczuk, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Prices vary between different regions of the country. If you're questioning the price, then you could consider additional consultations with other surgeons. Price is important, but it's not the most important factor. Make sure you feel comfortable your surgeon and are happy with their results.  

Thank you for your honest question.  Combining abdominoplasty with a breast lift and placement of breast implants is a multihour surgery that requires significant expertise and experience.  There are many ways to provide shortcuts and make mistakes in performing the procedures and having the benefit of an experienced ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon has significant value.  It is one of those things where it is best to get it done properly the first time.  Here in Beverly Hills that charge would be considered average.
Thank you for your question and best wishes for a safe and easy recovery.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD