Upper arm lift; How long do you need to wear the sleeves?

How long do you need to wear the sleeves?

Post op arm lift

After an arm lift, I recommend that patients wear their sleeves for 4-6 weeks. It helps to decrease the swelling and helps in the healing process.

Arm lift garment

Hello and thank you for your inquiry. I usually have my patients wear the garment sleeves for 4 weeks after surgery so that the scaring heals quicker and also so that it does not open. Every surgeon has their own post op indications, i would suggest consulting your surgeon. Best of luck and congratulations on your arm lift. 

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift Compression

Each Plastic Surgeon has there own preference of compression following arm lifting (Brachioplasty)  Surgery. Personally I would recommend 6 weeks as during this period one experiences natural post surgical soft tissue swelling and the potential for seroma formation. The simplest method I have found is to use Tubigrip elasticated support, size dependant upon individuals build, as when these become worn or soiled they can be changed for a fresh length at very little expense to the patient and size adjusted as the patient heals and swelling reduces.

Richard Karoo, MBChB, FRCS(Plast)
Cardiff Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative compression garments for brachioplasty.

Every surgeon has his or her own routine for postoperative compression.  It will be very important to follow your doctor's recommendations.  In our practice, immediately after the operation, compressive Ace wraps are placed from the fingers up to the armpit.  These can normally be removed within 24-48 hours postoperatively and replaced by elastic compression sleeves commonly worn by athletes.  These can be purchased relatively inexpensively at any sporting good store.  Most patients wear these for up for up to 4 weeks postoperatively.  No vigorous activity or strenuous activity is recommended for 3 weeks postoperatively.  Complications following a well planned and well executed brachioplasty are uncommon.  They may include however wound infection or wound breakdown. In the last several years improvements have been made in the performance of brachioplasty (arm lift) resulting in better results and more acceptable scars.  These improvements includes more precise incision placement, better closure techniques and use of post operative scar reducing systems.  With greater attention to these details the benefits of arm lift surgery can be achieved with more acceptable scarring than in the past.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Sleeves after arm lift

Thank you for your question!  I recommend my patients where compression sleeves for approximately 6 weeks after surgery.  However, it is always best to check with your plastic surgeon and follow their instructions regarding compression therapy following arm lift.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

There are no "absolute" rules; practices will vary. Therefore your plastic surgeon and/or his/her staff will be  your best resource for specific/relevant instructions. Best wishes for an outcome you will be very pleased with.

How long to compress arms?

Hello there and thanks. Congratulations on your recent upper arm lift! When and how to put on compression garments depends on what approach was used on your arms and how much tissue was removed. For safety reasons it is your plastic surgeon is the best resource to answer this question. Generally speaking, I prefer Ace wraps for the first 2 weeks and as long as the incision is healed well - the patient can wear a compression garments a minimum of 6 weeks from week 2 to 8. 
Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Arm lift

Each plastic surgeon and their recommendations are a bit different but in my practice I recommend that patients wear the arm garment  24/7 for the first two weeks and then at night for the next two weeks. I believe this really helps with the Contor and swelling and gets the patient to their final results faster .