Is a mini tummy tuck with a reverse tummy tuck safe given my previous surgeries? Is this the best choice for my issues? (Photos)

I have had a c-section, lipo and abdominal hysterectomy. PS said that I could have a mini tummy tuck with a reverse tummy tuck since I don't have enough skin to avoid a vertical scar with the full TT. I had a breast reduction so I have scars under my breasts. I am 5'5 and weight 128 pounds. Is necrosis a big concern given my previous surgeries? PS initially suggested Mini TT, but I would like to have the upper skin tighter as well and lift my belly button. Please advise?

Reverse tummy tuck and mini

I believe it is safe and have done this before. The upper scar under the breast is fine, it usually looks better than after a breast reduction but the scar that extends between those scars will be visible, sometimes it is great, but you have to accept having it there. As an alternative, I have also done a standard tummy tuck and left a lower midline scar from relocating the belly button. I would ask to see photos of both before deciding which way to go but it is safe to do it either way and hopefully the plan includes tightening the abdominal wall too.

Dr derby

Thank you for the question and photos. It is wise to do an inperson consultation with a surgeon and see what he proposes. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Severe liposuction irregularities

You have severe liposuction irregularities which are very difficult to correct.You should consult very experienced board certified plastic surgeons as your problem is quite complex to repair.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Mini tummy tuck versus reverse tummy tuck?

Thanks for your question and photographs.  I would advise you to consider a mini tummy tuck possibly with transfer of your periumbilical skin to your lower abdomen while tightening your muscles to flatten your stomach.  I personally avoid a reverse tummy tuck due to the potential prominence and visibility of the midline portion of the scar. Good luck with your choices. Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Is a mini tummy tuck with a reverse tummy tuck safe given my previous surgeries?

We see these results from bad liposuction several times a year from patients who should not have had the procedure in the first place and it is extremely difficult if not impossible to correct. This is due to all the resultant scarring in the fat layer that cannot be removed or improved. I suspect you can do the procedures you ask about safely but doubt they will be of any help in correcting all the irregular shadows. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Bidirectional tummy tuck: mini plus reverse

The combination of a mini tummy tuck and a reverse tummy tuck is what I call a bi-directional tummy tuck. It is not commonly done but may be an option in your case. The belly button would not be relocated. You would need to accept a scar across the midline connecting the existing scars under the breasts. 

Richard Baxter, MD