How long before I get a Tummy tuck, breast lift and implants do I have to stop taking diet pills or any other medications?

I been taking diet pills since the end of January to help give me a boost of energy and curb my appetite to shed some fat. Reading other forums on here I learned that being on diet pills prior to a mommy make over is not good and can cause complications. So that being said I was wondering how far out should I stop the diet pills before I go into surgery? Also do other medications complicate the mommy makeover? Such as birth control pills and acne medications? Or what about multi vitamins and Bio Astin?

Usually 2 weeks before surgery is when we recommend stopping diet pills and blood thinners

Diet pills can affect heart function and other blood thinning medications can thin your blood causing increased risk of bleeding and bruising.  For these reasons, we recommend stopping blood thinners 2 weeks before surgery.  These include vitamin E, fish oil, aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen as well as others that we mention during consultation.  Diet pills should also be stopped two weeks before surgery.  It is important to know that not all medications should be stopped and may help protect you during surgery.  This is why it is very important to be open with the medications you are on during consultation with your surgeon.  Hope this helps.

Diet pills & surgery

You need to speak with your surgeon and get his or her recommendation. I would say that you need to stop at least 2 weeks prior to your surgery. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your question. While your goal of losing weight is admirable you need to make sure that the diet pills that you are taking are under the direction of a physician.  You are correct in assuming that taking diet pills may lead to complications with your anesthesia and your surgery. I would talk to your primary care physician about the medications you are taking and when they feel it would be safe for you to stop the medications. Best of luck. 

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Pills

I would recommend stopping all non prescription medication for 2 weeks prior to the procedure. Check with your PS about prescription drugs. 

Arko Demianczuk, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make over meds to avoid

Stop the diet pills at least 2 weeks prior and its best to change your overall lifestyle (exercise and diet). 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Mommy Makover Specialists

I recommend at least stopping your meds 2 weeks before surgery.  This is for birth control and diet pills and other supplements.  Best of Luck

Medications and surgery

Thank you for the question and diet pills and birth control pills should be stopped atleast two weeks prior to surgery.  Vitamens with E in them should also be stopped but your surgeon will discuss this with you prior to surgery.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Thank you for your question.  Because of the possible dangerous health consequences of diet pills I would advocate you stopping them today and instead continuing with a healthy diet and exercise regimen to lose any remaining weight.  It is best to be at an overall stable weight for several weeks before your procedure and not dieting to ensure that your body has enough raw building blocks of nutrition to heal appropriately afterwards.   Each physician will supply you with a list of medications that should be avoided in anticipation of surgery so be sure to ask your surgeon for them.  Hope this helps.

Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about Medication & Supplement Use

Prescription and over the counter #medication use are not a matters that  surgeons or physicians than your own can advise on, without seeing you in-person or knowing your #medical history and surgical details. Therefore, its best to ask your surgeon this and about any additional medication use you have concerns about. 

Dieting and medications before surgery

This is an excellent question, but one that is very difficult to answer in general terms.Most surgeons will recommend that you not take any medications prior to surgery; diet pills especially can be problematic due to the increased risk of tachycardia and other heart problems.Please be sure to discuss this in-depth with your plastic surgeon well in advance of your surgery to get specific instructions based on your specific circumstances.

Suzanne M. Quardt, MD
Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon