I am a male with breasts. How can I reduce the size or eliminate them?

In the past my breasts have naturally increased by i inch. HOW CAN i REDUCE THIS SIZE?

Doctor Answers 9

Liposuction and Gland Excision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi. Liposuction and Gland Excision could be a solution to such cases. However, it will be of help if you can send some photos to advice on the correct diganosis and estimate. 

Reducing Breast Size in Men

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery.
Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Male With Breasts

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is hard to give advice without seeing a picture, but if you have true gynecomastia, the only way to reduce them is by surgery. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 81 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hard to comment without more info or photos. You could go get a consult from an experienced gynecomastia surgeon. Good luck.

Male breast reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  I would recommend you initially obtain an evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if gynecomastia is truly your diagnosis.  If so, this can be corrected with surgery to remove the gland as well as liposuction to get nice contouring of the chest.  All this is performed through a small incision at the areola border.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

I am a male with breasts. How can I reduce the size or eliminate them?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 I am sorry to hear about the concerns your breast size cause. Accurate diagnosis ( and treatment recommendations) would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for your question. Gynecomastia is a condition that must be corrected with surgery. Its origin may be multifactorial and there are different types according to the patient's age. I recommend you make an appointment with a certificated PS of your area to receive proper treatment.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 99 reviews

Male breasts?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you have gynecomastia and it bothers you, there is only one way to eliminate this problem..surgery.  Once breast tissue develops, only surgery is able to remove this tissue.  Please have a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  I would recommend Dr Munish Batra, who practices near your location.  If you make it into his office, feel free to mention that I sent you there.  He will take good care of you.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.
Dr Vasisht

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Male breasts

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question, John. A few things I would like to know is your age, and see some photos.  Gynecomastia, which you are describing, sometimes goes away following puberty.  As an adult, it often does not subside. In these cases, no pills or potions can eliminate the tissue.  However, the good news is that surgery which is very safe, can effectively eliminate the male breasts for lifetime.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon with a lot of experience with gynecomastia surgery.

Tim Neavin, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.