What is your opinion on my progress? Should I be thinking of further revisions after the proper healing period? (photo)

had gyno for approx 11 years. presently 24. Finally got the revision surgery approx 3 weeks ago. The first week, the chest was flat .with the swelling and scar tissue coming I feel a bit frustrated and I know this is normal for the first 4-6 months. My areola were always large & I question if I should be thinking about doing a flattening and reduction in the areola size after the standard healing period. It still is puffy to me and a bit large which frustrates me a bit but I know I need to wait.

What is your opinion on my progress? Should I be thinking of further revisions after the proper healing period?

If I am reading your photos correctly, you are on the way to a very nice improvement.  I would agree that your areolae are too large.  And your surgeon was right in not attempting to make them smaller at the same time as removing the enlarged breast tissue.  However after 4-6 months it s possible to both narrow the areola diameter and perhaps tighten the skin at the same time.  Good luck.

Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Concerned About the Areolae After Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified . In addition to checking board-certifications, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Post op

Thanks for photos. So far, so good.  I don't reduce areola on men.  They will tend to shrink in the post op setting.  Puffiness is normal for 3 weeks out.  I think you are on the road to a very nice outcome. Be patient.  Easier said than done.

Tim Neavin, MD

Final Results from Gynecomastia Surgery Take Time

It can take 6 months to a year for all the swelling to resolve and the skin to contract into its final configuration. Be patient. You may or may not need a revision. Time will tell.

To be certain, return to see your surgeon or see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS