I still have puffiness in the areola after Gyne (excision & lipo). What should my next step be? How is my progress?(photo)

I had gyne surgery approx 4 months ago. I still have some puffiness in the nipple area even though a mass is noticably removed. I am unsure about my progress and what my next step should be. It is a bit troubling. areola reduction is the next logical step. I am thinking how can so much excess areola be reduced to look normal. It baffles me every time I look at it. Maybe some advice and some thoughts on my progress will keep my mind at ease till my FINAL (I hope) surgery to complete my chest.

Concerned About Puffy Areola 4 Mos After Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation

Areolar Puffiness After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi Davj101,

Thank you for posting. There is an improvement from the preoperative photo.  There may still be residual swelling, even after four months. I would wait until you are at least 6 months out from surgery and be re-examined by your plastic surgeon to see if you need further surgery which could include removal of more tissue and/or areolar reduction.  If the size of your areolas are an issue for you then an areolar reduction will be necessary as I do not see them retracting too much more.  In my practice I stage areolar reductions and do not routinely do them at the time of the initial surgery.

Best regards,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

You may need peri-areolar reduction and further liposuction to improve on the appearance of your chest.  Communicate with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

I still have puffiness in the areola after Gyne (excision & lipo).

There is a noticeable improvement since your surgery, and four months is a bit too soon for all the swelling to have disappeared.  It would certainly be possible to reduce your areola.  The incision that was made at the bottom of your areola during your first surgery would be extended to circle the border all the way around, and some of the dark areola skin would be removed.  If there is any residual puffiness at that time, that could be addressed also.  Try to be patient for another couple of months.  Good luck!  

Post Gynecomastia Residual Puffiness

An exam would be required to see if you have residual edema, and how much redundant breast tissue and skin remains. Often the best results require more than one surgery.