Is there a solution to this and which would it be? What do you think went wrong? (Photo)

I had a facelift a year ago, so plenty of time for healing. A revision of the ears four months later which made it even worse. I did have a hematoma/seroma (don't know exactly which as both were named to me), paralysis on the right side and lip leaving the strange abnormal lump on the second pic. I used silicone bands, rosehip oil to massage several times a day. I would appreciate a true explanation of what is seen and a possible solution if there is one. Thanks

#facelift #cosmeticsurgery #recovery #scars #beauty

Dear Newmejan

Thank you for your questions and photos!  Sorry for your problems- these would need to be dealt with by your surgeon.  You may not heal well in general or there was tension on the closure.  The lump is hard to determine without a clinical exam and possible imaging.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Facelift revision

Your scars seems spread, so I would guess you also had some wound healing problems/skin necrosis along the suture line, which is not uncommon if you had a postoperative hematoma especially if it wasn't drained immediately.  The lump could be residual fibrosis (scar tissue) from the hematoma, or perhaps a chronic seroma.  The photo is out of focus, and an exam would of course be necessary to determine what is going on and if your tissues have softened enough to allow a revision surgery.  The goals would be to improve the scars and eliminate the lump.  There may be other things that could be improved, but your photos leave out a lot of detail.

Poor healing post facelift surgery

Looking at the images provided you appear to have a few problems with your incisions and  wound healing. Your scars are not ideal and can be revised with scar revision techniques likely under local anesthesia.  You also have  scar hypopigmentation which can be treated with micro pigmentation.  The area of lumpiness may be secondary to your seroma or subcutaneous fibrosis around sutures. If the lumpiness  fails to respond to conservative measures such as massage and steroid injections  then  revision facelift surgery may be required.

Philip Solomon, MD, FRCS
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unsatisfactory results after face lift

There are few issues that are not typical for face lift recovery.Your photos are not sufficient for objective evaluation.

You should seek a second opinion consult with a renowned plastic surgeon with good experience in face lifts for detailed evaluation and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Bad Facelift scar treatment

This problem happens when you leave the skin with a lot of tension and then suture it. This tension widens the scar and produces what is called an hypertrophic scar and sometimes keloid. The best way to address this is to repeat the facelift procedure, and pull the SMAS and the facial tissues to the Temporalis Fascia. What this means is that the pulling effect of the facelift leaves all the tension on the SMAS and not on the skin. At this point we can remove the scaring tissue and leave the skin without any tension. This will promote a better healing process and will avoid the formation of the hypertrophic scar or keloid. Hope this answers your question.

Luis Pedroza, MD
Colombia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is there a solution to this and which would it be? What do you think went wrong?

In very are cats the pre auricular scarring can be poor, as seen here. Only in person evaluations would allow a surgical plan to be outlined.