I'm considering rhinoplasty for a deviated septum. (photo)

What actually happens during the procedure to rectify this? What is the total recovery period and how long before the procedure looks unnoticeable?

I'm considering rhinoplasty for a deviated septum.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question. For deviated septum correction, your procedure can be performed either as a closed or open operation. Your initial cosmetic recovery takes up to 2 weeks. Final results can be noticed in 3-12 months depending on the amount of surgery needed to accomplish both your functional and cosmetic needs.

The procedure involves reducing and repositioning the midline septal cartilage to create a more even position in your nostrils and providing better airflow. Work with a rhinoplasty specialist for the best results. 

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Nasal surgery

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  After a detailed examination, it could be determined what your septum looks like and a plan could be made to help you.  Some patients may benefit from a septoplasty, septal reset, and/or spreader grafts.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

I'm considering rhinoplasty for a deviated septum

From the one limited photograph, appears at the base of the septum is off to the patient's right side which may be blocking airflow as well. A septoplasty performed to straighten that once medical necessity has been documented at the time of the examination.

Rhinoplasty for Deviated Septum

Thanks for your question! The procedure to correct the deviated septum varies depending on the severity of the deviation. In your case, you have at least a caudal (anterior) septal deviation to the right that contributes to your asymmetric nostrils.  In some cases this procedure is performed through small incisions inside the nose. If more extensive work is required, that an external rhinoplasty approach may be required. Recovery depends on the extent of surgery performed but most patients are back at work in 7-10 days.

Best wishes!

J. David Kriet, MD, FACS
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon