I have had implants over the muscle and an uplift; should I have the implants moved to under the muscle?

Pocket position

Changing the implant pocket position can be performed but why are you looking to change the position?

Over the muscle with a lift to under the muscle

While all surgeries require focus on the part of the surgeon, revision breast surgery definitely has its issues as well.

When implants were previously over the muscle, the circulation is divided between the muscle and the breast tissue, making lifts and redo surgery more risky for nipple blood loss issues.  For the majority of patients, placement underneath the muscle makes more sense for a number of reasons when a redo is done.

We typically also remove the capsule so at least some of that circulation can reform over time when a redo surgery is performed.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Thanks for  your question. Without photos I can only assume you are not happy with what you are seeing now. I tend to favor implants under the muscle . They tend to look more natural, mammography is better amd the risk if capsular contracture is lower. Unless you have small implants now, the transition will often require a larger implant, a second lift or both. A lift after a  prior subglandular can have more healing risks depending on the thickness of your tissues. This combo can also have more variability. Be sure you are well informed of the pros and cons by your PS before you proceed.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon