Can I exercise 6 weeks post op (benelli lift with implants) if I am still using steri strips?

I am healing very well and my surgeon is happy with my progress. He advised I can resume exercise after 6 weeks, however in my last appointment he advised to keep wearing steri strips until my next appointment. My concern is, is it hygienic? I will obviously start slowly and ease into it, but could the sweat cause infection of any sort? Thank you.

Exercising Post Breast Lift and Augmentation

You should avoid heavy #lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic #exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc.

You make take gentle walks within a few days following your #surgery. Light #activity may be started 7-10 days after surgery. If your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is #strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide you with a note stating you are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will note disclose what procedure you underwent. Do not begin light aerobic #exercise for 3 weeks and strenuous exercise for at least 6 weeks. Let your body tell you what it can tolerate. It is always recommended to call and see your surgeon to discuss your healing concerns.

If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

I have to say that you are still early on healing process, 6 weeks of cardio, no bending or pulling its fine, after 3 months you can do more things..it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support… 

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Sweating and ster-strips

Thanks for your inquiry.  At six weeks, sweat should not affect normal healing wounds. Ask your surgeon how often he/she wants you to change them.  Good Luck.  

Breast lift and implant resuming exercise

I agree with your surgeon that you could resume exercise after 6 weeks. If your implants are under the muscle you should very slowly start direct exercise of your chest muscles. I also like my breast patients to give extra support like wearing two sports bras for the first few weeks if they jog or other exercise that makes their breasts bounce a lot. The steri strips are probably just to continue scar pressure to help give a nice flat scar. Good luck.

Resuming Fitness

Consult with your surgeon about the types of activities that are acceptable post-surgery. It is important that you not engage in strenuous activities in the first three (2-3) weeks after surgery. My own personal recommendations to my patients are start walking as much as you want to, as soon as you want to. Then progress as desired tohigh-reps, low-resistance exercises. Slowly progress for6 weeks, after which time there are no restrictions. I advise my patients torefrain from strenuous physical activitysuch as heavy lifting with your arms or jogging for 6 weeks. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It is important that you follow your doctor's instructions so that you get the best aesthetic results.

#breastrevision #breastimplants

Steristrips and exercise 6 weeks after breast lift with implants

I agree with your surgeon about resuming your exercising. Incisions in general are well healed by six weeks. You may wish to ask your surgeon to clarify the purpose of the steristrips at this point. I'm sure his answer will be reassuring. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon