How much does a Rhinoplasty cost on average? Also, how much pain is involved in recovery, and can my nose be reduced? (photo)

I have a larger roman type nose that has made me extremely insecure my whole life. I have been bullied for it, and I tend to try and hide my nose in public. The things that bother me the most about my nose is that my bridge is convex with a large bump, and the tip of my nose is quite bulbous. I would really like my bridge to be concave and reduce the size of the tip of my nose-- if that is even possible. first photo- the photo on the left is edited to what i would prefer my nose to look like.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Rhinoplasty

An open rhinoplasty to reduce your dorsal hump, and refine your tip would be indicated.  Splints are used for 1 week and then removed.  You should be able to have an excellent result.  Best wishes, Dr. T

Yes to rhinoplasty!

You have correctly identified the procedures that would need to be done to achieve the look you want.  I would perform an open rhinoplasty the hump removal and refinement of the tip cartilages.  You would need to be off work 3-5 days.  My total surgical fee (all inclusive) is $5000.  Thanks for the question

Jeffrey Marvel, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your pictures! As far as pricing is concerned, it really all depends on the area and doctor as prices can vary wildly.  Even down here in South Florida prices can vary.  Your best bet is do some research, and contact a few docs to get an idea.

As far as pain, there really is not much pain involved.  Your nose will feel "stuffy" like you have a bad cold for about a week to two weeks (due to internal swelling from the surgery).  You may feel some pressure for the first week or so - similar to sinus congestion.  At most, you will feel some soreness after the cast is removed. While most people do not have pain requiring narcotics, some people do, and that just depends on how sensitive you are.  That being said, if you were to ask most rhinoplasty patients, they would tell you a similar story.

In regards to what your goals are - you can certainly get very close to your desired outcome.  bringing down your nasal bridge, creating a softer profile while improving the appearance when looking straight on is completely doable.  I agree with your assessment of the nasal tip - improving definition and refinement to help it fit your face would be the goal.  These are all things that you should bring up with your doc during consultation as well.  Remember, the most important part of rhinoplasty surgery occurs before surgery - you and your surgeon should be on the same page as far as what needs to be done and you are looking for.  Communication and developing a good relationship is key.  

Anyways, I hope this helps! Best of luck! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hi, 

Based on your photos, the results seem attainable. We have to be careful not to narrow the bridge too much. This can give you internal nasal valve collapse which will make it difficult for you to breathe. The cost for Rhinoplasty is $6995. Most patients take two weeks for recovery. Pain is easily controlled with oral medication. 

Hope this helps, 

Javad Sajan, MD

Javad Sajan, MD