5 months post BA revision, replacing 800cc implants with 510cc. Now one is sore, tight, and high. Is this capsular contracture?

I have had a second Breast augmentation about 5 months ago, this time going smaller. One of my last implants ( 800cc) ruptured and had been for a long time when i went in for my second operation for my smaller (510cc) implants to be placed. Ever since the surgery, that one breast has been sore and tight and it feels like a grapefruit. It looks the same as the other breast, but when i lie on my back, my normal one hangs over the side a little whereas the "grapefruit" one sits high

Capsular Contracture?

The diagnosis of capsular contraction will depend on your physical examination. Although your description is consistent with abnormal scar formation, the breast asymmetry you are experiencing may be related to differences in the breast implant pockets. I would suggest following up with your plastic surgeon for more precise diagnosis/advice.

Capsular Contracture?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best to be Evaluated in Person

I suggest beginning with an in-person #evaluation with your original surgeon, or, with a board certified plastic surgeon. It is best select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with breast #augmentation and the incision type, #implant placement, and implant type. 

One of the most common problems is breast capsular #contracture or the development of thickening, and contracture of the capsule that exists around the breast implants. Severe capsule contracture probably occurs in less than 15% of augmentation patients. Every woman has a breast capsule around their implant and this is a normal phenomenon. The capsule itself could be as thin as Saran Wrap but may also become calcified and thickened. As it thickens and shrinks, the patient may develop a feeling a firmness of the breasts and in its worst situation, the breast may become painful and abnormal in appearance, achieving a very round, hard, and uneven appearance. There may be distortion and possible breakage and leakage of an older implant, but may also include a newer #implant. Nicotine users, such as smokers, have up to a 30x increased risk of #capsular contracture. An in-person examination will better determine if in fact, this is the case. 

Best to be Evaluated in Person

Possible capsular contracture

From your description it seems that you have a capsular contracture.  The reason for your rupture of the 800 cc implant could have been from a capsular contracture in the first place.  The capsule getting tighter could cause a ripple in the implant creating a pin hole leak.  

Possible capsular contracture

Capsular Contracture?

If your breast felt tight immediately following the surgery, it is not likely to be capsular contracture but perhaps an under dissected pocket or a fluid collection around the implant.  Capsular contracture can certainly develop over time but would not be present immediately after the surgery.  Your surgeon should be able to make a diagnosis by examining you.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD (retired)
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture?

Brian Howard, MD (retired)
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

It is very possible that you have a capsular contracture, but you would need an exam to determine that.  Good luck.

Capsular contracture

Capsular contracture after breast augmentation

Pictures would be very helpful as would a physical exam.

but from your description of pain and immobility of the implant on one side compared to the other it is very likely you may have developed a capsular contracture on that side.

See your surgeon.

Good luck

See your surgeon.

Good luck