Could this be capsular contracture at 6 weeks post? (photo)

I had my mommy makeover exactly 6 weeks ago with a reduction/lift and placement of 250cc smooth saline implant under the muscle. I have noticed that my breasts have still not settled and look oddespecially from the side. My breasts have been mildly sore since the pain went away at about a week so I'm not sure if they're still taking time to heal or if a CC is causing the soreness. I know 6 weeks is on the earlier side for a CC but just wanted some professional opinions before meeting with my PS.

About Healing Post Augmentation with Mommy Makeover

#Capsular #Contracture is a condition in which the capsule around the implant thickens and squeezes the implant making it hard and often changing the shape and position of the implant. It is more common in nicotine users (e.g. smoking or nicotine patches or gum). Effective treatment of the capsule frequently involves completely removal of the capsule (capsulectomy), and occasional incisions in the capsule may be somewhat helpful (#capsulotomy). At times it is necessary to change the position of the implant, either above or below the muscle, depending upon the initial position, changing the #implants themselves and, on occasion, the use of Acellular Dermal Matrix (ADM) may be required to prevent continued problems. Although the published risk of capsular contracture is approximately 9-11%, in our practice it is somewhat lower after initial implant placement. Once capsular contracture occurs, the risk of problems with secondary surgery rises to between 25% and 40%. However, it's still early in your healing process. #Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing.
But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit.
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

Too early for CC

You probably don't have capsular contracture. Your breast shape is typical of the earlier stages of recovery, and it will take a few months for your implants to settle. However, to make sure, you should discuss with your surgeon. You can also ask your surgeon if something will help push your implants down a bit to help them settle faster. This can be done with massage or wearing a bandeau or tensor bandage wrapped around the top of your breasts.

Mommy makeover aftercare

After a mommy makeover, it takes time for the implants to settle (if you got implants) and it takes time for the swelling to resolve. This can take up to 6 months so I don't usually recommend any revisions for that time. Specific questions about problems with the surgery are usually best directed to the plastic surgeon who performed your surgery. Thanks for your question!

At 6 weeks post-op it is unlikely that you are experiencing a capsular contracture.  It would be a good idea for you to so see your surgeon for an exam.  They are high so you may want to ask about wearing a breast band or massaging to try to help your implants settle.  Everyone is different when it comes to healing so try to be patient but definitely talk with your surgeon about your concern.  It can take anywhere from 3-6 months for implants to settle and breast shape to change so try to be patient and re-evaluate at that time but continue to follow your surgeon's post-op instructions. ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Could this be capsular contracture at 6 weeks post?

Hi. You do not have a capsule contracture. You are so fresh from your surgery. Relax. The implants need to settle and the tissue needs to relax and adjust to the new shape. I usually will tell patients to wait 3-6 months before rendering judgement. It take s awhile for implants to settle. Give it time. Good luck

Capsular contracture 6 weeks postoperatively?

Six weeks is early for the development of a capsular contracture.  It is unusual to develop a capsular contracture severe enough to cause pain this early.  It is difficult to know for sure without examining you.  It is unlikely in my opinion that your concerns are related to a capsule contracture.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Worried about capsular contracture

Thank you for your breast implant question.
  • Return to see your plastic surgeon to determine the cause of the high riding implants.
  • It may be that the implants did not settle, 
  • Or there may be fluid around the implants.
  • You might need an ultrasound if the exam suggests fluid.
  • If the implants are high-riding, they may descend over the next 3 months but they are so high that it seems unlikely.
  • I suspect your plastic surgeon will need to re-operate to bring them down into the right position.
  • Best wishes.

Capsular contracture cannot occur it six weeks.

The situation in the photograph should be reported to your plastic surgeon. There could be a fluid collection around the implants that would need to be addressed. A capsular contracture cannot occur six weeks.

You should return to your plastic surgeon to evaluate the cause of the breast shape. Six weeks post op may be a little to early, especially if the implant has not dropped into the proper position. Breast massages may help.

Ronald Freeman, MD
Macon Plastic Surgeon

4.5 months post op, my breast started to dropping too low. Do I need a revision?

You are mis diagnosing your issue. It is NOT a capsular contracture but a high riding implant place in the incorrect location that NEVER should have been done with a reduction/lift operation... Only inferior release will allow the implant to fall back into the lower position...