Is Capsular Contraction Common After Falling on Augmented Breast?

Capsular contracture after a fall

A small fall should not cause capsular contracture.  Very severe trauma to the breasts can cause bleeding around the implants and subsequent capsular contracture but this would be a very rare scenario.

Trauma to breast Implant

In my experience, when there is trauma enough to cause significant edema there usual is some degree of capsular contracture when all is said and done. I usually start my patients back on antibiotics after a trauma because I feel the fluid around the implant could get infected causing further encapsulation. Hopefully, your trauma is less severe than the scenario I am imagining and you will be OK. Never a bad idea to contact your surgeon for evaluation and recommendations.

Joshua B. Hyman, MD

Capsular Contracture after Breast Augmentation and Fall?

There is no way to predict whether falling on the augmented breasts will necessarily increase capsular contraction rates. In my opinion, unless there is bleeding and/or significant inflammation associated with the fall, there should not be a significant increased rate of encapsulation.

At this point, I would suggest that you do your best not to worry and enjoy the results of the procedure performed. Keep an eye out for signs/symptoms of encapsulation and continue close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

There is no conclusive evidence that following on your breast causes capsular contracture.

There are physiologic mechanisms that theoretically could tie trauma to the breasts to capsular contracture. Nevertheless, there is nothing convincing that I have read time the two together.

Capsular contracture after trauma to the breast

I can't give you statistical information about precisely how common this is, but I can tell you that bleeding from a torn capsule, which can happen in a fall, or inflammation from a stretching or tearing stress on the capsule can lead to capsule contracture.  The bottom line is that it will be hard to predict with accuracy whether you will develop this, and the best  thing to do now is simply observe your breasts closely for any signs of contracture such as increased pain, change in shape or position of the breast, firmness of the breast, or warmth of the breast.  If you notice any of these things, very often early treatment with Singulair and vitamin E can halt the progression of capsule contracture and  restore a soft breast.  If you have not done so yet, the best course of  action is  to return to your surgeon for a new exam so that he can observe things with you and advise you along the way.  Good luck.

I Hear That Smoking is to Blame for my Daughters Inplant Failur

It is widely believed that trauma can be a contributing cause of capsular contracture, although why this occurs, or indeed why it ever occurs remains unclear. 

How common this may be is unknown. We hear about falls when a contracture is noted afterwards, but not when there are no sequellae.  Therefore, we don't know what percentage of blunt injuries to the implanted breast result in contracture. 

All the best.