Can I start my laser scar treatment? 4 months post-op

Just had my tummy tuck 4 months. The scar looks fine but the color is red and dark. Can I start any laser scar treatment. Is it the sooner the better to improve the scar. I use tape so it's flat but just red

Laser of Tummy tuck incision

The best treatment for redness of your incision is approximately 3 IPL treatements spaced one month apart. Please see link for tummy tucks below.

What can I do to make my scar better?

To make my patients scars better after injury or surgery, I recommend ScaRxtape to be worn for several months after. This is inexpensive and easy to use. You just need to put it over the scars and it stays on for about a week even with showering. Some patients will not respond to ScaRxtape and in those, I would recommend pulsed dye laser to remove the redness and fractionated CO2 laser flatten the scars. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Laser Scar Treatment at 4 Months Post-Op

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Now, laser treatment is definitely an option but it would be best to discuss this directly with your surgeon in order to ensure that everything since surgery has healed to the point that a laser correction would be safe on the incisions and scars that are already in place. Good luck.

Please ask your surgeon about the appropriate time to start laser therapy.  Some recommend much more conservative therapy for scars.

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Post op scar treatment

Speak with your surgeon, but yes, it should be fine to start with the laser to reduce redness although the redness will diminish to a certain extent on it's own.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

Abdominoplasty scars are treated initially with taping and silicone sheets.

Lasers can help with redness and retin A can help with hyperpigmentation.

Fine to start now.

Dr. Denkler