Will my crooked nostril be the final result? (Photos)

I had open Rhinoplasty 11 days ago with a board certified surgeon & had my cast removed today. Im extremely unhappy with the results. My right nostril and 1 side of my nose is shaped differently compared to the left,my surgeon tells me its due to bruising internally that my nose had some trauma, which I didn't. I also spoke of revision after it heals. I have to now go out in public & I hate my nose & in distress. Is there any hope that it can look better and that I may not have to do revision.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

You are still quite early in your recovery period and your appearance will continue to refine.  It may take up to a year for all swelling to resolve and for your nasal appearance to settle to a final outcome. Your doctor may prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help reduce the swelling. Healing is often unpredictable and one side may heal quicker than the other and sometimes even nasal bones may shift in healing.  The outcomes may not be as expected.  In some cases a revision may be recommended to refine your outcomes, but I would wait at least 12-18 months so you are fully healed before considering a revision. 
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Final Rhinoplasty result

Thank you for your question. In the early weeks following rhinoplasty there is a tremendous amount of change that occurs due to swelling coming out of the tissues. While everyone wants to see the final result sooner, it does take time. Be patient and follow all of the after care instructions. If a rhinoplasty is revised, it is recommended to be done at one year from surgery. Best Wishes

James A. Hoffman, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Will my crooked nostril be the final result?

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. It is no surprise you are unhappy with the results - at the less than 2 week mark you are still experiencing significant swelling and bruising. Please remain patient and allow your nose to heal. It will not be until the 3-4 month post op mark that you will be able to evaluate the results of a sturdy unlikely-to-change nose. I suggest that you revisit your recovery process with your board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon