Going on Four weeks since TT. Still wearing compression garment. How much longer do I need to wear this?

I still have have some swelling and the garment makes me more comfortable. My question is how long do I need to wear the garment?

Garment post TT

As long as you have swelling and feel more comfortable with the garment I would continue to wear it.Heat and massage are good for swelling.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Garment after TT

Thank you for your question. In my practice we recommend at least 4 weeks of garment. Please check with your PS as he/she knows better about your healing.

How Long should I wear my garment

This is a question for your surgeon you should follow his/her instruction.    You are still early post op care and should be followed closely.    I recommend 4-6 weeks on average, but that can vary depending on the patient, procedure ect.    good luck

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. I usually recommend my patients to wear the compression garment for 4 to 6 weeks.  Some of them still use it after that time because they feel more comfortable and secure with it. Which wont affect in any way. I would suggest to contact your surgeon.

Franco R. Jacome, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

It is important to discuss this with your plastic surgeon because every surgeon has a slightly different aftercare protocol. If you are unclear of their instructions then I would ask them to clarify and be specific. I recommend keeping the compression garment on for at least 4-6 weeks for optimal results and swelling reduction. Good luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Going on Four weeks since TT. Still wearing compression garment. How much longer do I need to wear this

It is always best to check with your surgeon for their recommendations on compression garments. It is not going to hurt you to wear it longer as many patients, like you do find it makes them more comfortable. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

How long do I wear my compression garment after a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)

I believe that the abdominal binder worn after a Tummy Tuck is used to support your muscles, and does nothing to prevent swelling. I have seen patients who are wearing compression binders properly and still have swelling occuring during the day (that then resolves at night when they lay down). In my practice I have patients wear their binder for the muscle support it provides, but at 3-4 weeks I also teach them simple exercises that they can safely and comfortably perform all day long that will allow them to have more control of their abdominal muscles and less need for the binder. The majority of patients are very comfortable without their binder at 5-6 weeks. There still may be episodes of swelling that occur, but again the binder does not prevent this, and the swelling will resolve on it's own once the lymphatic drainage system is restored by healing.

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Most plastic surgeons recommend wearing a compression garment or 2 to 6 weeks so it is best to check with your own surgeon. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Post Op Compression Garment

Your operating Plastic Surgeon would be the best to advise you as each surgeon has their own preferred post op protocols. I advise my patients to wear their garment day & night for three weeks, then during the day only for another 3. Many people feel comfortable with it on and will purchase additional light support garments to wear on an on-going basis.

Ask your Plastic Surgeon what they advise.

All the best

Post op garment

Typically, I recommend to may patients that a post operative garment should be worn as much as possible for 3 months to decrease swelling and allow the overlying tissues to adhere back to the abdominal wall giving you the best chance of success.  After swelling subsides, many times, a smaller garment is needed which is a great thing!  Make sure you stay in touch with your surgeon to follow your progress for any concerns.

John McFate, MD