Breast implants removal, yes or no?

I have had my breast implants for 32 yrs with no problems. Should I considered removing them because I've had them for so long!

Explantation

The Dow Corning engineering data shows that there is a lipolysis reaction in the body so that the shell begins to leak silicone and chemicals usually within 8 to 10 years.  The chemicals are neurotoxins and carcinogens, so you body will have to detox these are they come out.  Many symptoms of silicone and chemical toxicity have nothing to do with the chest wall, so patients are unaware they are having problems from their implants.  Some symptoms include fatigue, muscle aches, mental clouding, sinus problems, joint pain, and dizziness.  There is an increased rate of certain cancers in women with older breast implants probably due to the carcinogens.  Due to this data, the implant companies are recommending exchange every ten years.  We have been treating thousands of women with defective breast implants for the last 20 years, including immune and endocrine support, antifungals if needed, detoxification, and treatment of coinfections.  Most plastic surgeons know nothing about these problems although there are many papers in the peer reviewed literature that support the statements above.  Please do not get a mammogram, as this is a great way to rupture an old silicone implants.  A breast US is much safer.

Breast implants removal after 32 years?

I would first obtain a mammogram and then definitely plan on having your implants removed and exchanged to new ones.  In my three decades experience, I often find that when implants are 25 or more years older one or both are either grossly seeping or ruptured.  In some people this causes symptoms and yet another's they remain soft and pain-free.  However the risk is that the silicone may exit your body's capsule and enter your breast tissue at any time.  I do not think that it is an emergency but I would plan on replacing them since they are probably in a very weakened state.  I hope this helps you. Regards

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Implants removal after 32 years.

Thank you for your question.  You mentioned that you are not having any problems with your implants which is great.  If you are getting your yearly mammograms and your implants appear to be intact, there would not be a reason to have them removed if you are happy with them. 

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Older implants

If testing has been done on the breasts such as a mammogram, and no concerns are revealed, then it is not necessary to remove the implants.  However, with implants this old it is likely that a problem may arise so it is not a bad idea to have them exchanged while they are intact and not causing issues.

Camille Cash, MD

Implant removal

The simple answer is that they need to be removed. It is not an emergency but you should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon about your options including new implants, no implants or fat grafting. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

Hello and thank you for your question! 32 years! Wow, that is a loooong time! The recommendation now is to have your implants exchanged/replaced every 10 years. If they are saline implants then a rupture is easily identified because the breast will decrease in size quickly. If saline ruptures then it just gets absorbed by the body and you then can get the implant replaced. With silicone it is much harder to tell if there is a rupture or not. There is imaging one can do to help identify a possible rupture. Following the guidelines the recommendation would be to have them replaced. If they are not ruptured, the implant shell will still be weak so the longer you wait, the greater the chance they will rupture. Hope this helps!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon