Undetected rupture of gel implant after blunt trauma to chest. Any suggestions?

I had a Cattle stock trailor door get kicked into my chest by a cow. It was about two weeks after the accident before I had a yellow bruise appear. I had a mammogram and ultrasound. They did find what I was told was an inflamed Non suspicious lymph node. I also had scant discharge from my nipped. I've had continued ache in my armpit since that time and has gotten worse over the last several months. The breast seems extremely soft. Suggests or thoughts

Undetected rupture of gel implant after blunt trauma to chest?

I added a question mark to your question, because that, of course is the concern. Unlike my colleagues, I will not recommend an MRI study, as they have a 21% false positive rate that would lead to unnecessary surgery just to "see" if things are OK. If your mammogram and ultrasound are normal, then I would skip the MRI and let your injured breast heal, after which you and your surgeon can examine your breast and see if there is any concern to consider surgery.

If your breast remains soft and your implant mobile and smooth, then I would not order an MRI, or proceed to surgery. The "extreme softness" you now note is likely due to rupture of your capsule, not your implant, but if your have firmness on the opposite side, then you have ample reason to consider re-operation without an unnecessary MRI. If both breasts (after healing of the trauma) are soft, then I would be very reluctant to operate on a scan.

I much prefer operating on patients with identifiable concerns and "fixable" problems! I know this advice is controversial, but after nearly 30 years of practice and thousands of breast implant patients, the FDA's advice makes no sense, and one set of advice does NOT "fit all." Just saying. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Undetected gel implant rupture?

HI trixie,   It is difficult to say if you have a rupture based on a mammogram and ultrasound. the best test is an MRI and you should consider this to put your mind at ease.Hope everything will be OK. Best,Dr. Christine Rodgers

MRI of breast is needed

MRI of breast using breast coil is the only sure way to check for leaked implant. You need this test to determine implant integrity. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Implant rupture?

If your mammogram and ultrasound are normal the chance of rupture is very very low. If you want the ultimate test then an MRI can be done. I would bet that your discomfort is from soft tissue contusion from your injury, not implant injury. Follow with you plastic surgeon. Good luck.