How many days before a plastic surgery does a person need to quit smoking?

I'm a smoker of a pack per day,and I'm planning to do tummy tuck soon,what is the recommended weeks to stop smoking before surgery

Smoking Prior to Surgery

Thank you for your question. Most Plastic Surgeons will advise you to stop at least 4 weeks prior to surgery and refrain from smoking while in recovery as well. Your risk factor for serious complications such as clots as well as delayed healing and wound complications are all greatly increased when you smoke. Discuss your plans with your Plastic Surgeon so they can advise you.

All the best

When to stop smoking before surgery?

Thank you for your question.  To reduce your risks during surgery and ensure optimal results it's important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. We advice patients to keep a well-balanced diet and to stop smoking at least a month before surgery. Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

4 weeks minimum

At a minimum, I recommend that patients stop smoking at least 4 weeks before their tummy tuck. You should ask your surgeon for their recommendation since their opinion may differ.

Smoking and abdominoplasty

I do not perform abdominoplasty on smokers.  There is a high risk of wound healing complications and chest infection.  I will perform surgery if a patient has completely stopped smoking for six weeks.

Alastair J. Platt, FRCS (plast)
Hull Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and smoking

I prefer patients stop about 2-4 weeks prior to surgery and remain off of them while healing. Best to ask your surgeon.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

For my patients, I recommend no nicotine products 8 weeks prior to surgery as well as 8 weeks following surgery. Nicotine impedes wound healing as well as can cause a host of other problems.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

4 weeks - don't cut corners!!

as you can see, most people say 4 weeks. This is elective surgery. You don't want to put yourself at undue risk for complications after surgery.  Having a big wound on your abdomen that you have to pack twice a day for a month does not sound appealing, does it? Stop smoking now and no nicotine for at least 2 weeks before surgery. Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Smoking cessation

normally, I recommend stopping at least 4 weeks before surgery. However, as you are a pack a day person, you should try to switch to a nicotine patch earlier and then wean off that.   Particularly with an abdominoplasty which raises large flaps, the nicotine can interfere with the healing.

When to Quit Smoking Before a Tummy Tuck

I am glad you are asking this question as it is very important. You may find surgeons have different opinions as when to quit smoking. For my patients I want them to quit 4 weeks before surgery as smoking impedes normal healing and can compromise your final results. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Smoking

Hello and thank you for your question. I absolutely recommend no smoking and no nicotine products for 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after surgery.   Nicotine products damage the microcirculation and can cause skin necrosis after surgery.  Safety is the top priority so why risk it.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD