What am I candidate for? CoolSculpting? Laser lipo? Tummy tuck? Or regular lipo? (Photo)

Hi I want to get ready of my tummy fat and the little bit of my love handles. I am 49 years old, weight 130 no and I am 5'3". I had my daughter when I was 39 and was a c-section . So please tel me what should I do?

Candidate for Coolsculpting

Your photos suggest that you are a great candidate for Coolsculpt.  You will see results in as soon as three weeks with continued improvement over 3 months.

Coolsculpting and Abdomen

You are a great candidate for Coolscupting.  I wold definitely begin your treatment process.  Combined with diet and exercise you will have great results.  Keep us posted.  Best, Dr. Green

CoolSculpting. It will jump start your transformation.

Thanks for your photos. You appear to be a wonderful CoolSculpting candidate. You don't have too much bulk and your skin looks elastic. So if your goal is to reduce your tummy and love handles without surgery and you don't require an immediate result, I'd suggest CoolScultping. Together with a continued exercise regimen, a diet mindful of your goals, and the added benefit of cold lipolysis, you should see very significant improvement in your waistline in the next several months. And no new scars.

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for abdomen?

Thank you for the photo.  It looks like you may be a candidate for CoolSculpting.  CoolSculpting has had FDA approval for fat reduction since 2010. CoolSculpting freezes the fat cells. Fat cells are more susceptible to damage by freezing than the other cells, (nerve, vessel, bone, etc.), around them. The fat cells die via a process called apoptosis, (programmed cell death). The number of fat cells are therefore reduced. This happens over a period of time, so the body is not overwhelmed with dead fat cells. The body will take these cells up, process them and excrete them, just as any other cell. The remnants are filtered through the liver, and then excreted eventually via stool.  CoolSculpting has a specific applicator that has been used in this area with good results.  We have had good experience with the skin snapping back.  Each individual is different.  See an experienced CoolSculpting practice, they will determine if you are a candidate.  Moreover, would also consider seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, who can give advice on both CoolSculpting and Liposuction.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

What am I candidate for?

If you are unable to lose your fat deposits and reduce the contour fullness in your abdomen there are a number of options that you can consider. If your skin is relatively tight, liposuction can be the most effective way to reduce the fullness. There are many types of liposuction, there is no evidence that one is better than another. A tummy tuck is used when you have flaccid redundant skin in addition to fatty tissue. It can be a great technique for the right candidate but it does leave a scar along the bikini line in most cases. If you wish to avoid surgery and feel you'll be satisfied with a more modest reduction in the fat, you could consider noninvasive body sculpting techniques. This can be accomplished with a noninvasive Sculpsure laser which can warm the fat under the skin causing it to be absorbed or with cool sculpt which freezes the fat which is then absorbed.

CoolSculpting for Fat Reduction Without Downtime

Thanks for your question, mariasantos. Based on your photos alone, I'm comfortable recommending CoolSculpting to reduce your love handles and some of the fat on your abdomen. Your skin appears to be in excellent condition, which means you'll likely be left with a smooth, toned contour once the treated fat has been eliminated from the body. Best of all, it doesn't require any sort of recuperation time or special aftercare, so you'll be able to get back to your favorite activities much sooner than you would with surgery. Of course, I recommend seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon for an in-person evaluation to be sure that CoolSculpting is right for you. Liposuction would be a suitable alternative, but you do not appear to be in need of a tummy tuck. Best of luck in your decision.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Tummy contouring following C-section and Peri-menopause

Dear mariasantos:

Thank you for sharing your photos! Each of the procedure / technique options are different and have their strengths and limitations. I will review some of these below. It is best to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who provides all of these option so he or she may provide you the best options for your needs and desires without the bias that this is all they provide. 

Are you interested in fat reduction only?
Do you desire skin reduction or scar improvement?
Do you wish for your tummy muscles tightened (tummy fullness following pregnancy and peri-menopause)?
Do you have a medical concerns which impact the type of surgery or recovery?
How much time to recover do you have available?
What is your budget?
Many other factors to discuss..

With regards to the techniques you selected:

• CoolSculpting: non-surgical fat reduction, limited to 50-100 cc fat per hour session, multiple sessions required to achieve a smooth contour and  up to 20% fat reduction, no skin reduction, no recovery, no garment required
  • Traditional Liposuction: surgical technique for up to 90% fat reduction and best contouring, about 1 week recovery, compression garment used
  • Laser lipo: surgical option by itself is limited in results; with traditional liposuction may achieve same results as traditional lipo alone but with added risk and costs
  • Tummy Tuck: the best of fat reduction and contouring with tummy flattening from the muscles "tightened", removal of skin excess and scar revision, 4 or more week recovery.
This overview should help you make a better decision. I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

What am I candidate for? CoolSculpting? Laser lipo? Tummy tuck? Or regular lipo?

Thanks for your question. You are a great candidate for Coolsculpting. I would recommend treating the areas twice about 4 weeks apart for the most dramatic results. Along with a healthy diet you should have a great result. Best wishes. 

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon