Is tummy tuck or liposuction enough to make my waist appear smaller? (Photo)

Just went through an augmentation 5 months ago and am in process of getting some scars addressed so want to do either liposuction or tummy tuck at the same time. Hesitant about undergoing tummy tuck due to longer recovery. I tend to gain weight in the middle and lose weight there the quickest. I don't have a lot of loose skin so hoping lipo will do the trick! Will I see a trimmer waistline with lipo only?

Is lipo enough?

Based on your photos, you will get some benefit from liposuction.  It may help improve your waistline and shape, but may not help with saggy skin.  Depending on how aggressive the liposuction, you may have looser skin, as it seems you have a fair number of stretch marks. 

This opinion is based solely on photographs, and there are significant limitations to the counseling we can offer without seeing you in person.

Seek a board certified plastic surgeon to help you weigh your options, expectations, and recovery time. 

Is tummy tuck or liposuction enough to make my waist appear smaller?

Liposuction can be used to make your waist smaller, but liposuction will not improve the quality of the skin.

Beverly Hills, CA

Lipo vs tummy

It all depends on how small you want to be .There is no question that lipo will help.Lipo will ONLY remove fat and not loose skin or tighten muscles.I will be happy to see you at no charge to examine you and see what your needs are.It is hard from a photo.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Very good candidate.

Hi, thanks for your question and posted photos. You look like a very good candidate for tummy tuck, liposuction from back and flanks and fat transfer if you´d like to improve the shape and volume of buttocks.

Dr. Milla

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

You will see trimmer waisline with liposuction

You will have slimming effect with liposuction.  However skin will stay lose unless you have a tummy tuck.  Your best option is tummy tuck and liposuction of your flanks.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Lipo or tt

Hi and thanks for the question. An in-person consultation will be helpful. From your photos you appear to be a liposuction candidate. However if you consider a TT you will also need lipo of the flanks to enhance your waistline. Good luck. 

Dr. B

Lipo vs tummy tuck

It looks like you have loose skin and might benefit from a tummy tuck.  Liposuction can help to decrease the overall subcutaneous fat volume.

Liposuction or tummy tuck?

You have asked a very good question, but this is where a full examination may be of greatest help.  Did you have children, are you planning on losing any weight or do you feel comfortable as to where you are at the present time?

you are correct in thinking that liposuctioning is easier to recover from than a full tummy tuck, but this should be a question of which( or should both be used) is correct for you.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Liposuction

Thank you for your question. It would be difficult to determine based on photos alone, but it appears that you might have enough excess skin to warrant a tummy tuck as liposuction alone could leave loose, hanging skin. In addition, if you have abdominal muscle separation this can contribute to a rounded looking abdomen and liposuction cannot address that.

Take care

Even the posted photo do not demonstrate the complete abdomen because of the high riding panties. My guess is a TT with 1 liter lipo to give a shape. But you state a scarring issue which needs to be considered...