Can Seroma and capsular contracture be corrected with breast revision or reconstruction if implant is removed?

About 6 weeks after my tissue expander exchange with gel implants I developed a second mound beneath my breast. The mound developed a small round wound that oozed fluid. This oozing has continued for 8 weeks at this point and the implant has hardened. I understand that the implant may need to be removed. However, will I be able to have another implant placed at a later date or some type of breast reconstruction?

Breast Reconstruction - Reconstruction Options

That depends on if you've had radiation or not. If not, it may be correctable with fat grafting and implant exchange. In the presence of radiation or severely damaged skin, a flap reconstruction may be required.
A board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in breast reconstruction including flaps and fat grafting will evaluate your needs and recommend the appropriate treatment. Wish you well with your reconstruction.

Best Regards,
Dr. Bidros

Swelling post implant placement

I think you can have the implant replaced.The key question is whether or not the swelling after the placement of the silicone implants was due to a benign seroma or an infection.If it was the lattere than the impalnt would have to be removed,the infection treate dna d then replaced at a lter time.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Problems after breast reconstructiob revision

Hi Veronica,
I'm sorry you are having to deal with this problem after getting through the tissue expansion process!  Usually the removal of the expander and placement of a permanent implant goes smoothly, but it sounds like you had either a postoperative seroma or hematoma.  If the implant is involved with infection, then it most likely needs to be removed and can sometimes be replaced after the infection has cleared. If the implant has to be removed and cannot easily be replaced due to thin tissues and scarring, then you may need a tissue expander again for a short time, with or without a latissimus dorsi pedicled flap for coverage.  If the implant is not infected, but developed capsular contracture, then the implant and capsule may be able to be removed and the implant replaced immediately.  As you can see, there are a number of different options (along with autologous flap or fat grafting options) which only an in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon can address.  Best wishes for a swift recovery!
Erik Hoy, M.D.

Erik Hoy, MD
Warwick Plastic Surgeon

Exchange of implant

You may have suffered from a hematoma that then caused a capsular contracture.  It may be possible to remove the implant and the capsule and place a new implant in the immediate setting.  If there is a wound infection, it may be more prudent to wait and let the wound heal after removing the prior implant and capsule. 

Breast reconstruction

Three basic forms of breast reconstruction exist. You can use your own tissue, implants or a combination of the previous two techniques. Your own tissue can be used in the form of the DIEP flap, PAP flap, SGAP flap or fat grafting. Implants can be done in one stage or two stage. Two stage reconstructions are started by placing expanders at the time of mastectomy. Once they expanders are placed they are able to be inflated as determined by wound healing. The final time consists of combining any of the above techniques.

If you are interested in being seen in Austin please give us a call. I know this is a difficult time for you. The majority of my practice is devoted to reconstruction for women with breast cancer or who are BRCA+

Sounds like a post op seroma infection. But no posted photos and your medical/surgical history is lacking. Thus I recommend ONLY IN PERSON second opinions for a surgical game plan to be drawn out. 

Breast Reconstruction after implant removal

I see this same scenario in my practice and there are many options.  First if you have had radiation I would definitely recommend some type of autologous reconstruction where your own tissue is used +/- an implant.  Now in a certain percentage of women, for one reason or another the implants will continue causing problems as you are experiencing and then you will have to decide whether or not you want to use your own tissues (flaps) for a breast reconstruction. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in doing these types of reconstruction.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Tissue expander possible infection

This is a difficult question to answer without more information and a physical examination.  If you have a capsular contracture it would be important to know if you have an infection of the implant as well.  In that case the implant would need to be removed and the infection and drainage treated.