I just had my upper/lowe lip injected with Restalyne on Tuesday 2-2-16 was wondering how often should I massage my lips? (photo)

Ive been icing for 15 minutes every couple of hours as well as massaging in between.

Massage Can Worsen Swelling

Thanks for your question and the helpful photo. I often discourage massage after a filler treatment, as the repeated manipulation of the treated area can actually make swelling worse. Cold compresses can help swelling for the moment, but they often cause residual swelling later. Swelling usually subsides in a few days. If it persists after that time frame, contact the doctor who performed your injections for further details. Heor she is more familiar with your case and can give you an accurate recommendation for self-care. Good luck!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

We don’t recommend massaging the lips following Restylane injections at my practice.

We don’t recommend massaging the lips following Restylane injections at my practice; instead, icing the lips can help to reduce swelling and arnica can be used for bruising. If your provider recommended that you massage, I advise calling them and asking how frequently they recommend it. Good luck with your results.

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment of swelling after Restylane injections

Thank you for sharing your question and posting your photo. Usually, no treatment is required for mild swelling after Restylane injections into the lips. For excessive swelling, cold compresses are helpful. Typically, massaging  is not a good idea; it can cause more swelling. Speak with your injector if you have further questions. Good luck,

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

I suggest waiting 2 weeks till you decide if you are happy with your results. Do not massage or manipulate the area.  If you are unhappy after that time you can reverse it with an enzyme.  Best, Dr. Emer.

I just had my upper/lowe lip injected with Restalyne on Tuesday 2-2-16 was wondering how often should I massage my lips?

Massaging in my private practice is usually only a few days, every 6 hours. But best to call your injecting doctor for guidance.. 

Massaging lips

Thanks for your question. Swelling is very common after restylane injections to the lip. I generally do not recommend massaging for the first 14 days. If for whatever reason you have a little bit of lumpiness for asymmetry to the lips after 14 days then I would recommend massage. Do not take any of these instructions unless you have spoken with your injector. Thank you for your question 

Roberto E. Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post- Filler Care

Thank you for sharing your photo.  Swelling is normal after a hydrophilic hyaluronic acid (HA) filler such as Restylane.  This edema typically lasts 7 to 14 days depending on how much filler and what filler was injected.  I do not recommend massaging the area.  The manual massage can lead to further swelling and, in some cases, displacement of the filler. 

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

#filler, #hyaluronicacid, #hyaluronidase, #Voluma, #Volift, #Vobella, #Juvederm, #Restylane, #RestylaneLyft, #RestylaneSilk, #Belotero, #Radiesse, #Bellafill, #Sculptra, #Suneva, #Allergan, #Galderma, #RefreshDermatology

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane injection in the lip and aftercare

In our practice, we do not recommend massage or manipulation of the lip in the form of massage by patients after injectable fillers. The swelling will resolve over 2 weeks. If it does not, go back and see the provider who injected the Restylane.

Best
Dr. Karamanoukian

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo Phlebologist

Lip Injections and Aftercare

Your treating dermatologist should have reviewed aftercare with you before you left. Generally I do not have patients massage the lips since it should not be necessary. You can ice the area to help prevent swelling.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Massaging lips after Restylane injection

It is not unusual to have some swelling in the lips after a Restylane injection and ice on and off can help with this.  I normally do not recommend massage after the treatment however.  If the physician who treated you is recommending massage, I would check with him or her in regards to the frequency.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon