Hair transplant at 20? (Photo)

For the last maybe 6-7 months my hair has been thinning quite a bit. I've been on rogaine for the last month. I know most people say to wait until you are at least 25, but at this point I'm thinning in all the places my father has thinned. Knowing that my hair will more than likely thin in same areas as him, could I still be a good candidate? Also I refuse to take meds such as finasteride. Also if there are any other thing I could use besides rogaine that will regrow hair rather than just stop.

If you are losing hair and want treatment options you should schedule a consultation with a doctor.

If you are losing hair and want treatment options you should schedule a consultation with a doctor.  You don't have to take medications if you don't want to.  The doctor will give you options based on your examination and your goals.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant at 20

20 year old men should not have a hair transplant. Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the HAIRCHECK test will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and put a number on that hair loss (a metric) and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant at 20?

gavin39,

It looks like you are going to develop an advance Norwood as the hair on the whole top of the head is undergoing thinning. I would recommend that you have a thorough evaluation with a hair loss specialist. Some other therapy to consider would be PRP/Acell and Lasercap.

Sincerely,

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon