Breast pain. Do I need to call on my PS?

Do I need to call an on call ps? I have had significant pain in my left breast since Thursday every time I get out of bed. I called a nurse and she prescribed tramadol which made me sleep but did not touch the pain. She said as long as it's not a hematoma or infection those are really the only problems. Can't see my ps till Tuesday. Would you all recommend I see an on call one & can they actually do anything or scan and see anything?

Barring a hematoma or infection, your pain may be due to nerve injury at the time of implant placement.  This cannot be seen on any imaging study.  Sometimes a nerve block can be attempted to numb the intercostal nerves that course up into the breast.  Pressure or injury to these intercostal nerves can explain your symptoms.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon to see if a nerve block can be attempted.  

Call your PS and demand to be seen! Any early postop increased pain is a reason to be seen in person! 

Breast pain

Thank you for your question. You should definitely see your surgeon to address this issue. If you can´t see him for a few days and are very worried because the pain wont go away maybe you should go to the ER. Best of luck!

Pain post aug

If your surgeon won't see you to be safe you can always go to the ER .If you are having chest pains and shortness of breath then for sure go to Er.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation pain

An in office exam would be essential for me to properly evaluate you.  Post-op pain is normal. How much is normal is hard to quantify.  

Breast pain

If the appearance of your breast has not changed, it is unlikely there is anything that requires intervention. If the breast has enlarged/bruised significantly then you may have a hematoma which should be dealt with in a timely fashion.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your pain.  If this has developed since the last time you saw your surgeon, is worsening in severity, or your breast appearance has changed I would strongly recommend reaching out to the on-call PS for an evaluation of your breast to ensure that all is healing well.  Best wishes.

Breast pain

If you are having significant pain or discomfort I would certainty encourage you to see your surgeon or at least speak to him or her. An examination may be needed. Best of luck.

I am sorry to hear about the discomfort you are experiencing. Significantly (and especially) asymmetric pain can be a sign of a problem; therefore, best to communicate with your plastic surgeon. Sometimes, sending photographs (for example through e mail)  can be helpful. Best wishes.