I'm 5'3, a slender 102 lbs. I've been skinny all of my life, this is the most I've weighed aside from being pregnant. (photo)

How many CC's? Profile for a natural look? Homemade Rice sizers ... Am supposed to place them under my breast or directly on top? Is the weight of sizers similar to implants? Silicone or Saline? I'm leaning towards incision under the fold; but since I had a lump removed from my left breast (benign) when I was 17 I already have a slight scar. Should I go through the areola again? Which heals with the least amount of pain? So many questions! Your suggestions are great appreciate.

Breast augmentation

Hello, thank you for your question and the pics. You have beautiful breasts, a slight asymmetry as your left breast is slightly smaller, but this will be corrected using different size implants. To adequately address your question, I'll go into a couple of points. Implants come either round or anatomical shape (teardrop shape). The round implant is the one I believe will suit you best, as it will fill the upper pole of your breasts giving you a beautiful cleavage, anatomical implants will look more natural, but more than 90% of women undergoing this surgery do so looking for a better cleavage. Now the profile could be either high or extra high, but since you don't want something too big, I'd say go for the high profile, as it will fill your breast completely without adding so much to the front, and will allow you to be sexy or conservative depending on your clothes. As for saline versus silicone, personally, I find the silicone implant gives much better shape and feel to the breast. About your incision, you have a relatively small areola, which means that fitting an implant through it could traumatize them a bit and leave you with a not so pretty scar, I like the inframammary crease incision as it gets completely covered once your breasts settles (about 2 to 3 weeks after surgery), without the possibility of sensory problems which could arise from an areolar incision, including complete loss of sensation in your nipples. Hope to have been of some help, any further assistance and I'll be glad to help. Good luck

Breast aug best route to take

I think at the end of the day you want a full natural look that won't look fake and artifiacial.Doing the incision under the infammary fold is the one I prefer and feel it is best.You for sure want to do silicone if you can.You could go under the muscle or on top.If there is very little soft tissue/breast tissue along the upper pole of the breast then going under the muscle is the right way to go and certainly if you were to choose saline.It is a safe outpatient procedure that takeas about an hour and a half.It is a great procedure.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

I'm 5'3, a slender 102 lbs. I've been skinny all of my life, this is the most I've weighed aside from being pregnant.

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, you are starting at a great place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  In regards to specific size/profile of breast implant, despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you  with  meaningful specific advice.  Ultimately, in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be necessary. Careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.  2.  Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural look” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.  The use of temporary intraoperative sizers, viewing the patient's breasts in the upright and supine position, are very helpful during the breast implant selection process.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Breast augmentation

Based on your photos, it looks like you are likely a great candidate for breast augmentation.  In terms of sizing, there are several factors that plastic surgeons consider when recommending implant sizes. I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr.Basu
Houston, TX

Hi and thanks for your question. First, let me just say that you are a great candidate for a breast augmentation. Your shape lends itself to have beautiful, natural results. You must have had very attractive breasts before your pregnancy.

Based on your photos, I would suggest a smooth, silicone cohesive gel implant , placed through either the fold or areola, in a submuscular position. As far as how many CCs will depend on what your goals are. If you are to get the natural look and based on your height and weight, then I would suggest a 325cc or 350cc high profile implant. Your chest width is small as is the base diameter of your breasts and I would be concerned that any implant with a greater diameter may give you "side boobs" which is so unattractive.

The pain is dependent on the plane that the implant is located. The submuscular plane vs the subglandular. Transaxillary BAMs are also more painful requiring a longer recovery.

I abhor the fake look. There is nothing attractive about a woman with stiff coconut breasts on her chest that don't bounce or behave the way a natural breast does.

I am certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and have practiced in the"land of breast implants", Miami, for the past 29 years. I encourage you to look up the surgeon you eventually select and make sure they have years of experience in performing cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthsiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful. Should you require any further clarification, do not hesitate to contact our institute. I answer all questions personally, not through patient coordinators or other marketing individuals.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.
Good Luck, Dr. PG

The hardest decision before breast implants?

There are so many decisions to make when selecting breast implants:  size, profile, incision location, shape, texture, silicone or saline, below or above the muscle.

Your plastic surgeon will be able to help with many these.  After examining you, taking measurements and discussing your goals, together you will be able to work through the decision process.  Your surgeon should now also offer to show you a good idea of what your breast will look like using 3D imaging software that can accurately predict what each different implant will look like for you.  

You hardest and most important decision will be selecting the right surgeon.  Make sure you find a board certified plastic surgeon who does breast implants.  That person should spend quality time to get to know you and work with you to achieve your goals.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon