Is There Anything That Can Be Done To/for my Facial Surgery Scar? (photo)

I had Mohs surgery 8 years ago that went 7 stages and left a large, deep hole on my left cheek. I lost about 1/3 of the cheek flesh. The defect was not given a plastic surgery closure (or any closure, primary or secondary); I had to heal it myself. This has been a source of depression and anxiety, as it has affected not just my personal life but career as well. Also, it pulls every time I speak, smile, eat or drink. Is there any hope, this many years past the damage was done?

Doctor Answers 3

Treatment of Moh's scars on the face - Los Angeles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Surgical options and non-surgical options are available to improve your scars on the face. I treat both dynamic and static scars. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Options to help facial scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It's possible that a scar revision on your facial scar could improve it.  The incision may not be able to be placed exactly in your natural nasolabial fold, but it still could possibly be improved with surgery.  Seeing you in person would be helpful to know if you would be a good candidate for such a procedure.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Scar revision on the face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would need to know a little more about your initial surgery. It looks like a Moh's surgery but I cannot tell beyond that.

As for a scar revision, I do think that the scar can be revised to fall in the natural crease from your nose to your lip (called the nasolabial crease).  This would significantly improve the appearance and make it appear much less visible.

Gil Kryger, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.