I have a small amount of stretchy skin and fat after 3 kids, what are my options for fixing this? (photos)

I've been told I don't need a tummy tuck, but is there another way to flatten my tummy? I'm 5'6" 125 lbs, after 3 pregnancies I have what I call my "mom pouch." Id like my tummy to be a little flatter.

Your expectations will guide you to your best procedure

and if you just want improved contours, laser liposuction or ThermiLift/ThermiSmooth 250 could do the trick.  But if you want the skin laxity gone, you will need a tummy tuck.  But you should know where your scar is going to be PRIOR to your procedure and whether you will need a vertical scar or not.  In addition, all belly button options should be discussed thoroughly with you so you can make the best choice for yourself.

I have a small amount of stretchy skin and fat after 3 kids, what are my options for fixing this?

Liposuction would reduce the fullness of your tummy fat but it will not tighten the skin or muscle.Thank you

Fred Suess, MD

Some Options

You seem to have extra skin and fat in both the upper and lower abdomen. In the upper abdomen you have an additional amount of loose skin. I have not seen this amount of loose skin adequately corrected by non-surgical means such as Ulthera. Assuming you are finished with pregnancies, you might consider liposuction of the abdomen to reduce the fat and a reverse tummy tuck to remove the excess upper abdominal skin. This would allow you to avoid a scar around your belly button and a vertical scar in the lower abdomen from the belly button site if the upper abdominal skin is not sufficiently loose. Another option would be a full tummy tuck which would not only improve your entire abdominal skin layer, but would also allow for liposuction and muscle tightening. This will probably give you the best result. 

George Sanders, MD

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

It actually appears that you may benefit from a tummy tuck. If you liposuction your loose skin, it will become looser. Watch this brief video for more information.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Want a Flat Tummy

Thank you for the photographs and question. It appears that you have some loose abdominal skin. The "mom pouch" is usually due to loose skin, some excess fat and separation of the rectus muscles. Based on your height and weight it does not sound like there is much excess fat. Liposuction or a series of fat freezing procedures can reduce the fat but only some type of tummy tuck can really handle the loose skin and muscle separation. I recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn about your options and I hope you get the tummy you want!

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Dear Jenijen4It is difficult to asses skin laxity in a photograph. Although your lower abdomen skin appears relatively tight, your upper abdomen skin appears looser. If based on your examination, the skin from above your belly button can reach your pubic hairline, you would do well with a tummytuck because it would not only tighten your skin but also tighten your abdominal muscles. Alternatively, liposuction can help contour your abdomen without removing excess skin. Liposuction has faster and less painful recovery and is generally less expensive. Look for an experienced and properly trained plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. See more than one consult and make a well informed decision .

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

Thank you for your photos. If you are looking to fit better in clothes and less "pouch" below your belly button, you can benefit from a liposuction. You will be limited as to how much fat can be removed before you will start having some saggy skin which may make your overall look worse. For a more dramatic flattening, you can combine this with a tummy tuck which would also remove excess skin and tighten your ab muscles for a significant difference. The trade-off is a larger scar which is hidden low within your panty line. It is best to have an in-office examination to determine which procedure will get you to your goals. Hope this helps!
Johnson C. Lee MD
Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Tummy tuck vs liposuction - considerations for #plasticsurgery

You do not appear to have a substantial amount of skin laxity. Consideration for liposuction could be made, but these decisions require an in-person consultation.

Tummy tuck options and alternatives

The issue I see in the picture is not that you don't have enough skin laxity to justify a tummy tuck, but that it is primarily in the upper abdomen and the position of your belly button is high. A traditional tummy tuck would probably have to leave a T-scar, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes a reverse tummy tuck is useful in this situation. Liposuction will leave too much loose skin.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy Tuck?

Great question! I believe after having three children your stomach skin and muscles have been stretched a lot. A tummy tuck will probably be your best long term option. Not only will you get rid of the loose skin it will also tighten up your tummy muscles to help you be a lot flatter- this tightens your core. You can always do liposuction for a quicker recovery- but you will not get tighter and you will still have loose skin. Good Luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon