Creases and folds on upper eyelid. What can I do to get them removed? (Photo)

I'm not sure if it's stress or that I don't sleep right. But I've notice that I have been getting more creases on my upper eyelids. It looks really bad and it's starting to worry me. I'm only 24, but I work a lot too. I want to know what I can do to get them removed? And who do I talk about this to?

Doctor Answers 10

Multiple creases in the upper eyelid

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Although an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon can remove skin and create a single eyelid crease, the risks outweigh the benefits at this point. You should not have surgery performed now. Reevaluate your problem sometime down the road and consider surgery if the eyelids look worse. I hope you find this helpful.
Good luck,

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 144 reviews

Upper Lid Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question. Please understand that the definitive answer rests with an in-person consultation with formal photography and a physical examination.

Unfortunately the photo provided is a bit suboptimal.  My recommendation is to consult with a facial plastic surgeon.

One resource to consider is the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery ( The website has a resource to locate a facial plastic surgeon in your area.

Hope this is helpful. Best wishes.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Creases and folds on upper eyelid. What can I do to get them removed? (Photo)

It would be great to see you in person to get a better evaluation of the skin or folds you are referring too. From the picture I can see a few excess folds which look natural and aren't unsightly from what I can see. However, with the lid in a different position we may be able to see excess skin that could be removed conservatively. I recommend consulting with an oculoplastic surgeon to better gauge if you are a candidate for this type of surgery. Best of luck to you!

Kristin J. Tarbet MD, FACS
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

You need blepharoplasty. You need to see a plastic surgeon

You have excess skin in upper eyelids. No age is immune from it. It requires an opeartion called blepharoplasty. You will need to see a plastic surgeon for it. 

Vasdev Rai, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Eyelids surgery?f

Thank you for a great question and for sharing your concern and photos.  You have beautiful eyes and may be developing some excess skin on your upper eyelids but it seems to be minimal at this time.  While the skin can be removed, the trade off is a scar so consider whether that is worth it to you for a subtle change.
I hope you find this helpful. Best wishes!

Consult with a Board Certified Fellowship Trained Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Elizabeth Whitaker, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Creases and folds on upper eyelid

If one has creases and folds on the upper lids due to extra skin in this region, the most common technique is an upper eyelid blepharoplasty to remove and improve this region. This is a relatively smaller cosmetic procedure that can yield excellent results in most cases. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. He or she will be able to examine you and also give you an idea as to what it is like to go through surgery, the pros and cons, and the ability to achieve your goals. Good luck.

George Volpe, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

You would benefit from a micro anchor blepharoplasty.

You need a very specialized type of cosmetic eyelid surgery.  It needs to be done in a very precise way.  You need to have a hard crease made to support the eyelid platform skin.  This is done by making a relative low crease incision and removal of a small amount of skin and lid platform muscle as well.  This snugs the eyelid platform skin to the crease like tightening the skin and muscle like one might tighten a bed sheet on a bed.  To accomplish this snugging, you need these tissues attached surgically to the levator aponeurosis.  So the suggestion that you only need skin removed is not right.  Generally this is a good opportunity to strengthen the levator aponeurosis and correct any upper eyelid ptosis that you have.  This makes the eyes look brighter and more jewel like.  Unfortunately very few surgeons in the world perform this type of detailed upper eyelid surgery.  My ebook cited below has more detailed information about these procedures.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Eyelid surgery

 A full set of pictures and an in-person examination are required to determine if there is really excess skin present on the upper lids. If there is excess skin present, a very conservative skin only upper blepharoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 145 reviews


Thank you for sharing your case and photograph.  Many people have your condition and a simple outpatient procedure can cure the problem.  Blepharoplasty is a procedure that removes excess skin from the eyelids to restore a rejuvenated and refreshed look.  Schedule a consultation with a board certified oculoplastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and goals.  Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Upper eyelid creases

As usual it is difficult to tell from one photo exactly what the problem may be.  But it appears you may have a bit of redundant upper lid skin.  That is not very common in someone your age, but it can happen.  Alternatively, it may just be a normal anatomic variant made worse by poor sleep.  If you do indeed have a little extra upper eyelid skin causing these unsightly folds, the best treatment is a simple blepharoplasty.  My suggestion is that first you take good care of yourself.  Resting properly is essential for good health and good looks!  But also consider a consultation with a plastic surgeon for an exam and evaluation.  Best wishes.

Pedro Vieira, MD
East Brunswick General Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.