8 days post op BR with intense itching & redness. What's going on? (Photo)

I am 8 days post op and I have started itching intensely. Around my nipples and under breasts. It doesn't feel warm & I have not had any fevers. Benedryl & Pepcid haven't helped. Cold compress helps a little. Is this a sensitivity to the tape or something more?

8 days post op BR with intense itching & redness. What's going on?

Until proven otherwise, you have an infection.  Based on the photos, you look like you have Mastitis post op which is an infection of the breast.  Is you pain and itching accompanied with fever and chills?  Other things like allergic reactions to ointments or gauze, tape and other such things can also cause this intense reaction.  This needs to be closely monitored and treated by your surgeon and the earlier the better for you.  DO not wait.  Sorry you are dealing with this.
Good luck
Dr Vasisht
South Shore Plastic Surgery 

Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and photos.  It looks like you may be experiencing an allergic reaction to something (the medication you are taking or the tapes on your breasts). I recommend reaching out to your surgeon ASAP for for inaccurate assessment and advice.

Breast reduction

Itchiness may be related to healing or a reaction to something such as the tape. Best to be seen in person by your surgeon.

Post Breast Reduction Itching and Redness

It may be best to see your surgeon for #healing advice. You may need to be seen in the office and evaluated. If the wound becomes separated or you develop a small opening, this again should be evaluated so that appropriate steps can be taken as soon as possible. I suggest calling the office and speak with the doctor or medical staff.

Yikes-- you have a bit of redness!

Hello and thanks for the photo-- and you have some redness- this may be infection or just inflammation-- the itching sounds like a dermatitis -- I would see your PS soon to be evaluated.
Good luck

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Itchiness after BR

Although itching is often seen after surgery, check in with your plastic surgeon to make sure you are not having an allergic reaction or topical sensitivity.

Allergic Reaction Post Op

Hello and thank you for reaching out. It looks like you are experiencing some type of an allergic reaction, possibly a contact dermatitis. I would follow up with your surgeon immediately so he can take a closer look at you and rule out infection. Possibly a reaction to the tape or adhesive that's covering your incisions. Best Wishes. 

Thank you for your question and photos.  It could be an allergic reaction to tape, reaction to healing or an infection/cellulitis.  Please visit your surgeon soon to get evaluated and get further guidance on what to do.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Itching after surgery

Itching can be caused by multiple different things. It is often hypersensitivity of the skin to something it is coming in contact with. Try washing your garment in very mild soap. With the approval of your surgeon, remove your tape. I like to have my patients shower as soon as they are able so they can wash off the very strong cleaner we use the day of surgery, which can cause skin irritation. Another thing that can cause itching is yeast infection which can happen (like diaper rash - usually associated with small red dots at the periphery of the redness) when the skin is staying too moist. Make sure you can keep your skin very clean and very dry with absorbent fabric and allow good air drying after cleaning. Benadryl cream or diaper rash cream can sometimes be helpful. Best wishes, I hope this helps!

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon