Upper back pain and suffering from inability to sleep?

Had my BA done 3 days ago and I have to wear a compression band above my breasts for a while. I'm not sure if it's the band or something else but I'm having upper back pain and I don't know what to do to solve it. Its located between both of my shoulder blades and sleeping is a nightmare because I normally sleep on my sides and I'm having to sleep on my back now, but this causes the pain to become worse. Any tips? I would greatly appreciate any help!

It is normal to have a back and neck pain a few days after operation. The pain usually subsides after a few weeks. It is okay to sleep on your side but it will not really help get rid of the pain. It is best to ask your surgeon for approved anti-inflammatory medication and pain relievers to sooth your pain.

London Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - severe back pain

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Please get your surgeon's permission to remove the band -
  • It is compressing your scapulae and muscles around them. 
  • I never use these bands nor do I think they are helpful.
  • Ask also about sleeping on your sides for comfort - your body will tell you if it's the right position.
  • Back sleeping always causes back pain unless you have a pillow under your knees.
  • Good luck!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Back Pain

I'm sorry to hear about your discomfort. This is very common actually, secondary back & neck pain related to tension and posture is usually reported within the first few days. I allow my patients to sleep on their side but that doesn't always resolve it. Anti inflammatory medications approved by your Plastic Surgeon should help. I recommend that you call them and ask for advice at this point in your recovery.

All the best

Three Days Post-Op with Pain and Trouble Sleeping

Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. If you have concerns about something  unusual in the healing process, it is important for to call the surgeon's office right away and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined.

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions. Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

Back pain

Best is to check with your surgeon but this is a common complaint with new implants. AS the skin and muscles relax, this should go away assuming you are recovering normally but again, check with your surgeon to make sure there is not something else going on.

Dr Scott Ennis

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Bands and pain

The band is really only needed if one or both implants is sitting too high so you are best to check with your surgeon if you can convert to a simple support bra and remove the band