Can vomiting and diarrhoea damage internal tummy tuck stitches?

I am just over 4 weeks post full TT, and have had sickness & diarrhoeaI through the night. was sick 3 times as well as diarrhoea, didn't feel and pain when vomiting. My tummy is a little bit sore but think this may be from being sick. I have had a really good recovery so far, just concerned about the internal stitches.

Sorry about your illness.  It is very unlikely at this point to hurt those sutures.  If you did, you most likely would have a new abdominal bulge.  I hope you feel better soon.

High Point Plastic Surgeon

Vomiting after tummy tuck

I'm sorry that you have been so sick. Four weeks after surgery you are unlikely to tear the internal sutures. Your soreness is most likely related to the vomiting and muscle strain. It should settle over the next couple days. When you are feeling better, go see your plastic surgeon for an exam to reassure yourself.

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Hello, thanks for the question and I hope you're feeling better.  Although I think it would be unlikely that your sutures would break as a result of severe vomiting, it is possible.   Soreness may be expected due to vomiting, especially after surgery, and does not on its own suggest an issue with the plication sutures.  I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your surgeon so that he/she can examine your abdomen and see if there has been any change since your last visit.  Best of luck!

Soumo Banerji, MD
Pasadena Physician