Would I Be a Candidate for the Donut/periareola Breast Lift? (photo)

Candidate for the Donut Lift

Most commonly, we prefer the lollipop or donut lift because of the shape, small scars and easier healing. Removing a donut shaped piece of areola and skin then using a #Pursestring or double purse-string suture to tighten the skin, there is no need to add augmentation, but a tighter more youthful look will be attained.

Depending on your desire for restored fullness the insertion of an implant is an option as well, which is lost with aging and after pregnancy despite the rest of the breast being overly large. Fat grafting can be used instead of implants to improve the contours of the breast. This is the #NaturalBreastLIft or #CaliforniaBreastLift.

Would I be a candidate for a donut/periareolar lift?

Thank you for your question! It is normal for the breast to lose its firmness and perkiness over time, which is accentuated with age, pregnancy/breast feeding, weight gain/loss, and gravity. This ultimately results in ptosis, or sagging, of the breast with a “deflated” appearance. Women often seek the mastopexy, or breast lift, procedure to regain the previous youthful appearance of her breasts and desire that uplifted and perky appearance of her breasts. Women report increased confidence, self-esteem, and femininity once she achieves this desired shape and fullness. Breast lifts may or may not be performed with implants – the implant would add increased size but also greater fullness in the upper pole of the breasts which creates more cleavage. The implant itself will add these things - given your photos, a breast lift alone is a reasonable decision. It is also common for the areola to enlarge and stretch during these changes. The lift will also serve to raise the nipple areolar complex to its appropriate position above the breast crease and at the most projecting portion. In addition the areola size will be decreased, which is often desired by the woman.

These procedures will require incisions. Given your photo and the amount of droop of your breasts, you will likely need at least an incision around your nipple and vertically down your breast for optimal shape.  Few women are candidates for a periareolar lift and in my opinion, suboptimal results with subsequent stretching of the areolae. I would not sacrifice shape for fewer incisions. 

The decision for a breast lift will be up to you...depending on how much you are bothered about the shape as well as your concerns. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and s/he will assist you in deciding if a mastopexy will be the right decision for you.  Thank you for your question! Hope that this helps. Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Donut mastopexies

can help improve your symmetry if that is all you are trying to achieve.  Your procedure would be limited to your right side only.  If you're wanting more, you would have to consider more standard mastopexies and possibly even implants.  Discuss your desires and concerns with your plastic surgeon and don't forget to get his/her revision policy as it varies from doctor to doctor just in case you do need one later to tweak your results. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Hello

You really didn’t say what your goal is with this lift. Not sure if you’re looking into getting superior fullness, a lift will not do that on its own. If you get the lift with a good size implant you would get good results. You should see a PS so you can get your options.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Would I Be a Candidate for the Donut/periareola Breast Lift?

NO! Simple response based upon the posted photos. The breasts are ptotic to 4th degree and an asymmetry appears to be present. Best to seek ONLY in person evaluations from boarded PSs in your city. 

Candidate for the Donut/periareolar breast lift.

Looking at your photo, I don't think this lift would be the right one for you.  This is a good technique for lifting a breast (or relocating the nipple) only a small distance.  Looking at your photo, you would need to lift the nipple more than this technique would allow to match the breasts and nipple location.  Not only would there be significant "pleating" of the skin around the nipple, it would also flatten out the breast requiring an implant.  There are other techniques that would work much better in my hands. 

Am i candidate for a peri-areolar breast lift??

I do not think a peri-areolar lift alone will adequately correct your asymmetry and sagging. I think a circumvertical lift with reshaping of the existing tissue will provide you a with a nice natural longer lasting result compared to the donut lift.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Best Breast Lift for Me?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Your pictures do demonstrate significant breast asymmetry as well as a moderate amount of breast ptosis (sagging). You may be a candidate for circumareolar  or a vertical mastopexy;  each of these options have their pros/cons that will need to be considered carefully.  Direct physical examination  and a full communication of your goals will be necessary  to give you definitive advice.

I would suggest an in-person consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons; ask to see lots of examples of their work.

Yes you could consider a circum-areolar  breast lift

It will require internal lifting and possible mesh support 

The areolae will be reduced as well

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Not a good option

As the other doctors have stated, based on these pictures alone and without a thorough exam a Periareolar lift would not be as good as a circumvertical or even more aggressive would be wise pattern.

Gary A. Tuma, MD, FACS
Princeton Plastic Surgeon