I have some dark spots and freckles on my cheeks. Can you recommend me some skin products to help get rid of them? (Photo)

Dark spots on the face and Melarase

I would suggest Melarase AM and Melarase PM creams, Melapads, and Replenish cream to help reduce the discoloration on the skin.Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Tretinoin, hydroquinone

A combination of tretinoin and hydroquinone can lighten dark areas over a period of 4-12 weeks. A faster approach is the vi peel a medium depth chemical reply which can improve the skin tone and color in one week.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Dark spots and freckles on my cheeks

There are a number of ways to treat dark spots and freckles on cheeks. The first step is to identify an experienced and expert physician who understands your objectives and has an ability to provide good results.

The first step is probably a good medical grade skin care program such as Obagi, which is a hydroquinone based program.

A Halo laser treatment may also be possible but only if performed by and experienced and expert physician.

Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified physicians to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Getting Rid of Dark Spots and Freckles

Dark spots and freckles result from melanin which is secreted by the skin as a form of protection from UV rays.

This pigment resides in deeper layers beneath the surface. With topical skin products, how deeply the chemicals will penetrate is often unpredictable.

A common ingredient used to fade dark spots is hydroquinone. Due to its toxicity, the U.S., the FDA has imposed a 3 month limit on prescription strengths. The fading process tends to be very slow and may require much more time

Specialized lasers like Fraxel Dual are far safer, more effective and quicker. Laser energy is capable of reaching deeper skin layers in a controlled fashion. And it is able to be absorbed by melanin in order to break the pigment so that the body can clear it away. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Age spot improvement

"Age spots" are a difficult problem in darker skin patients.  They can be improved, but very carefully.  First, any treatment must be followed by strict sunscreen SPF 50 everyday under makeup.  Any treatment is waisted with sun exposure.  Sun exposure will bring the pigment back to your skin.  
Next, the treatment I recommend is BBL (Broad band light therapy).  This is 300 x the strength of IPL.  I start dark skinned patients on hydroquinine to down-regulate their natural pigmentation so there is less risk of PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation).  Then the BBL can be used on lighter, less aggressive settings to help with "age spots".   It will take a few treatments.

Hollie Hickman, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Melasma in type 3/4 skin

See a dermatologist. Do NOT under any circumstances undertake IPL- it will get worse. Medical management is always first line-

1. Hats, SPF 50+++
2. HQ - 5-8%
3. Lytera
4. retinioic acid, azelaic acid, kojic acid. Glycolic acid peels
5. see a dermatologist who does ethinc skin treatments- 1.0-1.2 j  6 mm spot 1064 QSL, gentle treatments, 10 sessions over 20 weeks. 
6. IF all else fails tranexemic acid- once again see a Dermatologist for this. 

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Treatment of Skin Discoloration

There are quite a number of treatments that claim to treat the significant pigmentary abnormalities that you have, including creams and machines (IPL, Laser). Over the years, however, I have discovered that the only thing that will treat what you have adequately is the Obagi Nu-Derm System. Make sure you see a physician and not an aesthetician who specializes in skin rejuvenation and uses the Obagi system.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon