How do I start the process to get a breast augmentation?

Hi guys! I've never had any surgery done before but I'm looking to get my boobs done in Colombia. I've researched many surgeons and I think I have decided on Dr. Amaya in Bogata. I'm wondering how to start the process. Do I fly to Colombia for a consult ? I'm from Canada and I don't really want to be flying back and fourth a million times. Any tips or advice on how to start the process? Thanks!

Planning for surgery

Thanks for your post. First, I would discourage you from flying so far away to have a surgery such as this one. There are plenty of highly-trained, highly-respected surgeons much closer to your home. There simply is not one surgeon anywhere in the world who should be claiming to be, "the best." If you have a complication, particularly with an implant in place, getting care for that locally becomes very difficult. I would search nearer your home before committing to such a journey for surgery. I wish you the best results.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Start the process for an out-of-country cosmetic procedure.

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• I understand the appeal of foreign surgery - it seems so glamorous.
  • But you are in a country with superb plastic surgeons and you want a routine, common procedure.
  • If you travel 3000 miles to a surgeon you don't know, in a country you don't know and and persumably don't speak the language and without the standards of Canada - you do so at considerable risk.
  • If you have a complication - you will need a local plastic surgeon to help you.
  • But if you are sure you want to do this, I am sure that if you send Dr. Amaya an email, his office will be happy to schedule you at once for surgery with a consultation the day before.
  • Foreign travel is usually too expensive to allow multiple trips for prior consultation but if you have the money, I would strongly recommend you do this, and later return for surgery on a second trip if you decide it's what you want to do.
  • I have an employee who is Colombian and she tells me the country is not as safe as Canada or the USA and she would have surgery here.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

I would encourage you to make your decisions carefully; medical tourism although certainly cheaper, may not be the safest way to proceed. Select your plastic surgeon based on the quality/safety record. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work and preferably communicate with some previous patients as well. Make sure you also consider factors such as follow-up and treatment of complications that may occur, even in the best of hands. Best wishes.

Going abroad for plastic surgery is risky business.

For a procedure such as a breast augmentation, it’s much better to find a reputable plastic surgeon closer to home. It can be tempting to see traveling abroad for breast augmentation as an opportunity to combine two wishes into one and visit a new country while enhancing appearance, but there are a few reasons why this generally wouldn’t be recommended. For one, you may encounter problems with a language barrier meaning you don’t get exactly what you want, or you have difficulty communicating if there’s a problem. Similarly, consider what you would do if an issue should arise during recovery. Thirdly, when it comes to having any kind of surgery done, regulation and standards in your country are likely to be much higher. 

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Choosing a PS!

Before having breast augmentation surgery, it important for patients to do their research and ensure they choose a board-certified plastic surgeon that they feel comfortable with! Any surgical procedure involves risks, so it is essential for patients to ensure they are in safe hands. It can be beneficial for patients to have a few consultations to determine which surgeon they feel is the best fit and will help them to achieve their aesthetic goal. Choosing a plastic surgeon closer to home is ideal, but some patients do travel for their procedure. If you decide to travel, it would be necessary to confirm how you will be taken care of if any complications were to occur. Having surgery in another country can be cheaper, but it is not always the safest option. Good luck in your research!

Tom S. Liu, MD, MBA
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Abroad

There are many highly trained plastic surgeons in North America capable of performing world class breast augmentation procedures. Traveling to a foreign country for surgery may complicate your procedure, especially regarding postoperative care. It may be best to look for qualified, local plastic surgeons whose results meet your standards. Visit a few to review your goals in person and to get a full evaluation. you may not need to travel far to get the breast results you're looking for. Good luck on your future procedure. 

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Breast augmentation

I would stay local, it is too much risk for you to travel to another country for a procedure that I am sure there are several well qualified plastic surgeons can perform closer to home. Check with the local board of plastic surgery web site for some names and phone numbers.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Medical tourism is full of pitfalls and unforeseen outcomes. Some of the most talented plastic surgeons in the world are in the US and Canada, so no one needs to leave to achieve excellent results. The primary reason to stay local is for follow up care. We want to see our patients to make sure that they are healing properly and following their post-op instructions to get the best cosmetic appearance. Should you have an unexpected concern or complication, a phone call or email may not be adequate. Good luck!

Keith Hodge, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Traveling for Breast Augmentation

Thanks for your question.  As others have stated it would be advised to have this type of routine surgery with one of the many well-trained Canadian plastic surgeons.  I can personally say that Colombia is beautiful as my mother was raised there and I traveled there often for family visits.  I would recommend a nice family trip there after your Canadian-based breast augmentation.  

Wishing you all the best,

Steven Camp MD

#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Flying From Canada To Colombia For Breast Augmentation

If you're bent on having plastic surgery in a foreign country, it is best for you to call the surgeon in that country to figure out his/her protocol. I know how the protocol works in the US, not Colombia. Additionally, there are many good plastic surgeons in Canada. I'd advise selecting one of them, specifically one close to where you live. Make your recovery as easy as possible on yourself by eliminating follow-up trips to another country by having the surgery done in your own country, preferably close to where you live. Avoiding travel after surgery will also reduce the risk of lethal blood clots. Best of luck. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician