How do I start the process to get a breast augmentation?

Hi guys! I've never had any surgery done before but I'm looking to get my boobs done in Colombia. I've researched many surgeons and I think I have decided on Dr. Amaya in Bogata. I'm wondering how to start the process. Do I fly to Colombia for a consult ? I'm from Canada and I don't really want to be flying back and fourth a million times. Any tips or advice on how to start the process? Thanks!

Planning for surgery

Thanks for your post. First, I would discourage you from flying so far away to have a surgery such as this one. There are plenty of highly-trained, highly-respected surgeons much closer to your home. There simply is not one surgeon anywhere in the world who should be claiming to be, "the best." If you have a complication, particularly with an implant in place, getting care for that locally becomes very difficult. I would search nearer your home before committing to such a journey for surgery. I wish you the best results.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Start the process for an out-of-country cosmetic procedure.

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• I understand the appeal of foreign surgery - it seems so glamorous.
  • But you are in a country with superb plastic surgeons and you want a routine, common procedure.
  • If you travel 3000 miles to a surgeon you don't know, in a country you don't know and and persumably don't speak the language and without the standards of Canada - you do so at considerable risk.
  • If you have a complication - you will need a local plastic surgeon to help you.
  • But if you are sure you want to do this, I am sure that if you send Dr. Amaya an email, his office will be happy to schedule you at once for surgery with a consultation the day before.
  • Foreign travel is usually too expensive to allow multiple trips for prior consultation but if you have the money, I would strongly recommend you do this, and later return for surgery on a second trip if you decide it's what you want to do.
  • I have an employee who is Colombian and she tells me the country is not as safe as Canada or the USA and she would have surgery here.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

I would encourage you to make your decisions carefully; medical tourism although certainly cheaper, may not be the safest way to proceed. Select your plastic surgeon based on the quality/safety record. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work and preferably communicate with some previous patients as well. Make sure you also consider factors such as follow-up and treatment of complications that may occur, even in the best of hands. Best wishes.

Breast augmentation

I would stay local, it is too much risk for you to travel to another country for a procedure that I am sure there are several well qualified plastic surgeons can perform closer to home. Check with the local board of plastic surgery web site for some names and phone numbers.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Medical tourism is full of pitfalls and unforeseen outcomes. Some of the most talented plastic surgeons in the world are in the US and Canada, so no one needs to leave to achieve excellent results. The primary reason to stay local is for follow up care. We want to see our patients to make sure that they are healing properly and following their post-op instructions to get the best cosmetic appearance. Should you have an unexpected concern or complication, a phone call or email may not be adequate. Good luck!

Traveling for Breast Augmentation

Thanks for your question.  As others have stated it would be advised to have this type of routine surgery with one of the many well-trained Canadian plastic surgeons.  I can personally say that Colombia is beautiful as my mother was raised there and I traveled there often for family visits.  I would recommend a nice family trip there after your Canadian-based breast augmentation.  

Wishing you all the best,

Steven Camp MD

#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Flying From Canada To Colombia For Breast Augmentation

If you're bent on having plastic surgery in a foreign country, it is best for you to call the surgeon in that country to figure out his/her protocol. I know how the protocol works in the US, not Colombia. Additionally, there are many good plastic surgeons in Canada. I'd advise selecting one of them, specifically one close to where you live. Make your recovery as easy as possible on yourself by eliminating follow-up trips to another country by having the surgery done in your own country, preferably close to where you live. Avoiding travel after surgery will also reduce the risk of lethal blood clots. Best of luck. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

I sincerely recommend that you consult two board certified plastic surgeons near where you live in Canada.  You need availability of your surgeon to be close by for proper follow-up.  If you have a complication or need routine wound care after your surgery and your surgery has been done in Columbia it will be difficult to obtain proper postop care at home.

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. I would highly recommend against flying so far away from your home to have surgery in another country.  It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast augmentation out of the country

I would start out by discouraging you from seeking breast augmentation from a surgeon so far away. When you select a surgeon and pay for your procedure, you are also paying for all of the postoperative management.   Ask yourself how you would handle a situation where you would need to be evaluated by your surgeon.  Your choice would be to fly back to Columbia or seek a local surgeon to manage your complication or concern.   This would negate any cost savings that may seem attractive to you right now.  There are plenty of qualified plastic surgeons in your area. A breast augmentation procedure is quite common. I would encourage you to at least have some consultations in your local area prior to making your decision. Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon