Will these lumps go away after labiaplasty? (Photo)

I am 7 days post op from labiaplasty wedge method. These lumps are growing near the vaginal hole and wondering if that is normal? Theres also some stinging at the bottom sutures where he attached the wedge. Is this normal? I am going to see my surgeon in a couple days and not sure what to expect.

Labiaplasty

You are still very swollen.  You seem to be healing nicely with no infection.  Because of the swelling it is hard to determine if you will need a revision.  In my opinion this is unlikely.   

Will these bumps go away after labiaplasty?

Dear Rm5602,

Thank you for writing in with your question and sharing your photo.  The small bumps are due to the suturing technique and you are getting swelling of tissue between the sutures.  If possible, have some of those sutures removed by 10-14  days to reduce the bumpiness otherwise you may have small scalloping of the edges where they are, and may need a revision surgery 6 months after you are healed.  Please discuss this with your surgeon when you follow up next.

I hope this is helpful information.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio 

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

LABIAPLASTY: POSTOP SWELLING

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you wish to be evaluated for a secondary procedure, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon even if that requires traveling.   

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Swelling

Swelling is very common after labiaplasty. This swelling can distort the tissue quite extensively. You should never make a judgement about the final appearance of the labia within the first few weeks after a labiaplasty had been performed. Best to wait. After 6 weeks, it will look close to what you're going to end up with, but the best recommendation is to wait 3-6 months before you make a final assessment. At that time, if you are unhappy with the appearance or there is some asymmetry, you should then discuss this with your surgeon to see if further adjustments need to be made.   

I personally prefer my method of doing labiaplasty procedures using a modified posterior wedge technique. It can give you very good symmetry of the labia, it looks the best aesthetically, and postoperatively patients experience less pain in my experience. In addition, many patients have more satisfying sex since the sensitive thin delicate labial edges are left intact. You can learn more on the link below. Good luck. 

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Will these lumps go away after labiaplasty?

Thank you for your question and photos.  I would expect swelling and some minor discomfort at one week.  I do not see any need for alarm at this point.  Please keep in touch with your surgeon.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your questions. It appears that your swelling has improved significantly since your last post. Some lumps can be common at only one week post-op and likely these will continue to settle with time. Keep close follow up with you surgeon and follow his or her instructions closely. I think that with time, you will have a nice result.

Post-op swelling after labiaplasty

Swelling of the loose skin and tissues of the labia minora will certainly be swollen in the first weeks after surgery. Even at 6 weeks there is some swelling and lumpiness, which will be less than at 10 days post-op, and which will continue to diminish over the next 6 months. You do not show excessive swelling at this point in time. Waiting for swelling and bruising is always a challenge.  You should be fine. Discuss this with your surgeon.

John M. Weeter, MD

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your labiaplasty!  Due to the swelling in your labial tissues it is difficult to offer definite advice but there does not appear to be any clear areas of concern.  Some stinging of the tissues is common during healing, but if there has been a change in your recovery, it is best that you are seen by your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  Best wishes.