Should I wait for my tummy tuck after having kids?

Hi everyone ! Ever since I had my baby boy (now 10months old) I've been considering liposuction, tummy tuck and bbl. I have extra skin on my tummy and was wondering if I should wait for the tummy tuck and lipo because I want an other child. As well, I would like to know your opinions on getting a surgery in the DR. Thanks in advance!!

Tummy Tuck Before Finished Having children?

A standard tummy tuck that includes tightening of the abdominal muscle wall should not be done until you are finished having children. However, it is safe to have a tummy tuck that only removes excess skin. Traveling to another country has several disadvantages that negate the advantage of saving money. Such as are you going to travel back to the DR if you have a complication? Your chances of developing a blood clot increases when flying. For more considerations see the link below. Good luck.

I usually discourage women that are not done with pregnancies from undergoing a TT. Best for you to delay surgery until you are done with childbearing. It will be easier on your body and wallet. 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and pregnancy

If you are planning on having another child, then you are best to wait to get a tummy tuck until after doing so. Best of luck.

Wait for the tummy tuck

Yes,  you should wait to have your cosmetic surgery after you have completed having your family. It is a matter of choice if you wish to travel abroad for your surgery. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Dr. Derby Sang

you could have your surgery done and then have kids, but i recommend you to wait after you have your kids because when you get pregnant you abdominal wall stretches out  and you could lose the beautiful results from your surgery. 

Just like in the US in DR there a board certified PS, i suggest you to look up SODOCIPRE on google, there you can find all the certified doctor in DR and there reviews.

Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

When to have a tummy tuck

I always recommend waiting until you have completed your family before having a tummy tuck. If you have it before, you run the risk of repairing the muscles again and having more excess skin, which would necessitate another surgery to correct. My best advice is to wait. Good luck!

Janet Turkle, MD

Tummy tuck should wait until after babies

HI and thanks for your question-

I would definitely counsel my younger patients to wait for tummy tuck until after having babies. While it's possible to safely carry another pregnancy after abdominoplasty, the problem is that your skin and abdominal wall can stretch out again and you may lose some of the nice result of your surgery. You'll have a more predictable and long-lasting result if you wait until after you're finished having babies.

I hope that helps-

Pregnancy following tummy tuck surgery is possible and is not dangerous, but if you plan on future pregnancies, you should wait to have surgery until you are done having children, since pregnancy will stretch out the skin and abdominal muscles again, usually undoing the repairs that were achieved with the abdominoplasty. In that case, a secondary tummy tuck to repair recurrent muscle laxity or loose skin may be beneficial. Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Great question!  I would encourage anyone seeking abdominoplasty to wait until they had completed their childbearing before proceeding.  Not only do you avoid the unprdictable changes associated with pregnancy on your trunk but your pregnancy could be more uncomfortable.  Best Wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

You should wait until you're through having babies before undergoing a tummy tuck procedure.  Patients will occasionally have unexpected pregnancies after a tummy tuck,  and these pregnancies are normal and unaffected by the prior surgery. The issue is that the positive changes that you have achieved after a tummy tuck procedure can be undone to some extent with another pregnancy.   Revision tummy tuck procedures can be more challenging. Because you are planning on more children, I would definitely wait.  Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon