What type of doctor should I see for age spots?

I'm 67 years old, light skin with red hair and I burn in the sun.
To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Appropriate doctor

Thank you for your question. While many doctors could treat brown spots, you may want to consider seeing a cosmetic dermatologist for treatment. Based on your skin type, you may want to make sure nothing else is going on with your skin. So treating with a cosmetic derm will give you the best of both worlds, you can get your brown spots removed, and also get checked for any other damage the sun may have done to your skin. Good luck!

Appropriate doctor

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Kareskin Brightening Kit with Melarase creams

Start with the Kareskin Brightening Kit followed with Melarase creams followed by Clear and Brilliant laser to help reduce and maintain clearance of age spots. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Physicians Who Treat Age Spots

I would recommend consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, or board certified dermatologist in your geographical area to determine that your age spots are not malignant. Each practice would have vast experience with various laser treatments. Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Lumecca has demonstrated effectiveness in removing age spots after several treatments.

Kenneth B. Hughes, M.D., Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Physicians Who Treat Age Spots

Dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Age spots are very easy to remove, including solar keratosis and actinic keratosis in your skin type- ie. light with red hair. 

I use Fraxel 1927 as my preferred laser of choice, however there are many ways to treat age spots, including laser resurfacing (full), PDT, and TCA peels. 

All the best, video explains only one method I use for age spots. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Dr Davin Lim
Brisbane, Australia

Physicians for Age Spots

Thank you for your question. Based on your description of your skin, I would recommend seeing a board
certified dermatologist, facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or oculofacial plastic surgeon in your area before exploring alternative treatments. The practice would preferably have a vast experience with different lasers and an active laser practice.  Given your age and tendency to burn, it is important to ensure that the age spots you are noticing are benign. Assuming all is well with your exam, there are many options for treating age spots such as BBL laser treatment, HALO hybrid resurfacing, laser resurfacing, fading creams, chemical peels, etc.

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Physicians for Age Spots

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Age Spots

Before I could offer you any recommendations or suggest therapies I have in my office, the first step is to see a dermatologist and have an evaluation of your age spots.  What are age spots to you might be premalignant lesions called actinic keratoses or could be skin cancer or various other lesions which are treated in different ways.

An exam is always the first step in treatment.

Age Spots

What type of doctor should I see for age spots? = ideally a board certified PS or D. #agespots #darkspots #Skincare

Age spots are usually secondary to chronic exposure to sun without sunblock or sunscreen protection.

Age spots can be striated by an specialist in skin care like a board certified plastic surgeon and/or a board certified dermatologist. It is important to look for an plastic surgeon or dermatologist that specializes on skin care.

Options for managing age spots are non-surgical like Obagi Nu Derm, and more invasive like Chemcial peels and laser resurfacing. 

John Mesa, MD

John Mesa, MD

Age Spots

A board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist should be able to help you.  We offer an IPL for hyperpigmentation as well as creams and chemical peels.  Sounds like you would be a great candidate for an IPL which works well to remove hyperpigmentation.

Age Spots

Age spots

Hi there,

Look for a doctor that discusses skin care and has the option of IPLs or BBLs in the office. These two tools can be very helpful is smoothing the color of the skin.

By the way, remember to always wear sun screen to protect your skin and prevent more spots! (Even on cloudy days)

hope this helps 

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Age spots

Hi there,

hope this helps 

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Age Spots

It is very common for patients to seek out treatments to improve age spots or pigmentary issues of the skin. There are a variety of doctors that can evaluate your skin and offer you a comprehensive treatment plan. Generally speaking, I would choose from the following types of doctors:

1)  Dermatologist
2)  Facial Plastic Surgeon
3)  Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Age Spots

1)  Dermatologist
2)  Facial Plastic Surgeon
3)  Plastic Surgeon