What type of doctor should I see for age spots?

I'm 67 years old, light skin with red hair and I burn in the sun.
To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Doctor Answers 13

Kareskin Brightening Kit with Melarase creams

Start with the Kareskin Brightening Kit followed with Melarase creams followed by Clear and Brilliant laser to help reduce and maintain clearance of age spots. 


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Physicians Who Treat Age Spots

I would recommend consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, or board certified dermatologist in your geographical area to determine that your age spots are not malignant. Each practice would have vast experience with various laser treatments. Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Lumecca has demonstrated effectiveness in removing age spots after several treatments.

Kenneth B. Hughes, M.D., Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Age spots are very easy to remove, including solar keratosis and actinic keratosis in your skin type- ie. light with red hair. 

I use Fraxel 1927 as my preferred laser of choice, however there are many ways to treat age spots, including laser resurfacing (full), PDT, and TCA peels. 

All the best, video explains only one method I use for age spots. 

All the best,

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 74 reviews

Physicians for Age Spots

Thank you for your question. Based on your description of your skin, I would recommend seeing a board
certified dermatologist, facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or oculofacial plastic surgeon in your area before exploring alternative treatments. The practice would preferably have a vast experience with different lasers and an active laser practice.  Given your age and tendency to burn, it is important to ensure that the age spots you are noticing are benign. Assuming all is well with your exam, there are many options for treating age spots such as BBL laser treatment, HALO hybrid resurfacing, laser resurfacing, fading creams, chemical peels, etc.

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 67 reviews

Age Spots

Before I could offer you any recommendations or suggest therapies I have in my office, the first step is to see a dermatologist and have an evaluation of your age spots.  What are age spots to you might be premalignant lesions called actinic keratoses or could be skin cancer or various other lesions which are treated in different ways.

An exam is always the first step in treatment.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist
4.9 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

What type of doctor should I see for age spots? = ideally a board certified PS or D. #agespots #darkspots #Skincare

Age spots are usually secondary to chronic exposure to sun without sunblock or sunscreen protection.

Age spots can be striated by an specialist in skin care like a board certified plastic surgeon and/or a board certified dermatologist. It is important to look for an plastic surgeon or dermatologist that specializes on skin care.

Options for managing age spots are non-surgical like Obagi Nu Derm, and more invasive like Chemcial peels and laser resurfacing. 

John Mesa, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

Age Spots

A board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist should be able to help you.  We offer an IPL for hyperpigmentation as well as creams and chemical peels.  Sounds like you would be a great candidate for an IPL which works well to remove hyperpigmentation.

Patricia Yugueros, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Age spots

Hi there,

Look for a doctor that discusses skin care and has the option of IPLs or BBLs in the office. These two tools can be very helpful is smoothing the color of the skin.

By the way, remember to always wear sun screen to protect your skin and prevent more spots! (Even on cloudy days)

hope this helps 

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Treatment of Age Spots

It is very common for patients to seek out treatments to improve age spots or pigmentary issues of the skin. There are a variety of doctors that can evaluate your skin and offer you a comprehensive treatment plan. Generally speaking, I would choose from the following types of doctors:

1)  Dermatologist
2)  Facial Plastic Surgeon
3)  Plastic Surgeon

I hope this helps.  

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 66 reviews

You should see a Dermatologist

Thank you for the question.  With your hair and skin coloring, you should be going in to get an exam by a Board Certified Dermatologist at least once a year.  Besides doing a full skin check to be sure you don't have any cancerous or pre-cancerous lesions, the dermatologist is well equipped to handle any type of age spots you may have.  Kindly, Marla Klein MD

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.