What type of doctor should I see for age spots?

I'm 67 years old, light skin with red hair and I burn in the sun.
To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Age spots are very easy to remove, including solar keratosis and actinic keratosis in your skin type- ie. light with red hair. 

I use Fraxel 1927 as my preferred laser of choice, however there are many ways to treat age spots, including laser resurfacing (full), PDT, and TCA peels. 

All the best, video explains only one method I use for age spots. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist

Physicians for Age Spots

Thank you for your question. Based on your description of your skin, I would recommend seeing a board
certified dermatologist, facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or oculofacial plastic surgeon in your area before exploring alternative treatments. The practice would preferably have a vast experience with different lasers and an active laser practice.  Given your age and tendency to burn, it is important to ensure that the age spots you are noticing are benign. Assuming all is well with your exam, there are many options for treating age spots such as BBL laser treatment, HALO hybrid resurfacing, laser resurfacing, fading creams, chemical peels, etc.

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Age Spots

Before I could offer you any recommendations or suggest therapies I have in my office, the first step is to see a dermatologist and have an evaluation of your age spots.  What are age spots to you might be premalignant lesions called actinic keratoses or could be skin cancer or various other lesions which are treated in different ways.

An exam is always the first step in treatment.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

What type of doctor should I see for age spots? = ideally a board certified PS or D. #agespots #darkspots #Skincare

Age spots are usually secondary to chronic exposure to sun without sunblock or sunscreen protection.

Age spots can be striated by an specialist in skin care like a board certified plastic surgeon and/or a board certified dermatologist. It is important to look for an plastic surgeon or dermatologist that specializes on skin care.

Options for managing age spots are non-surgical like Obagi Nu Derm, and more invasive like Chemcial peels and laser resurfacing. 

John Mesa, MD

Age Spots

A board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist should be able to help you.  We offer an IPL for hyperpigmentation as well as creams and chemical peels.  Sounds like you would be a great candidate for an IPL which works well to remove hyperpigmentation.

Age spots

Hi there,

Look for a doctor that discusses skin care and has the option of IPLs or BBLs in the office. These two tools can be very helpful is smoothing the color of the skin.

By the way, remember to always wear sun screen to protect your skin and prevent more spots! (Even on cloudy days)

hope this helps 

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Age Spots

It is very common for patients to seek out treatments to improve age spots or pigmentary issues of the skin. There are a variety of doctors that can evaluate your skin and offer you a comprehensive treatment plan. Generally speaking, I would choose from the following types of doctors:

1)  Dermatologist
2)  Facial Plastic Surgeon
3)  Plastic Surgeon

You should see a Dermatologist

Thank you for the question.  With your hair and skin coloring, you should be going in to get an exam by a Board Certified Dermatologist at least once a year.  Besides doing a full skin check to be sure you don't have any cancerous or pre-cancerous lesions, the dermatologist is well equipped to handle any type of age spots you may have.  Kindly, Marla Klein MD

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

The skin expert is--->

A Board certified Dermatologist will be best for you. You want to make sure that you do not have any precancers or cancers. With your skin type, I think that is the most important aspect of your finding a good dermatologist. The expert will do a complete skin exam, not just look at the areas that YOU think are "age spots". , Often it is the subtle lesions that we can feel more that we can see, that are important to biopsy or remove.
I hope you can look for someone close to where you live by going to the website below click on "Find a Dermatologist"

Good luck to you,
Dr Beverly Johnson

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologic Surgeon

A board certified dermatologist should evaluate and treat your sun damaged skin.

There are so many different spots that accumulate on our skin over time.  Best to be evaluated by an expert so that it can be determined if the spots are precancerous, age spots, melasma, lentigines, etc.  Depending on the underlying condition, the treatments change.  Best, H.

H.L. Greenberg, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologic Surgeon