Tummy tuck or liposuction? (Photo)

So I'm 19, no kids, just dramatic weight gain/loss. Although I'm still on my weight loss journey, I was wondering if I would be a good candidate for Lipo, and would I get good results? Or is a tummy tuck necessary for a flat result in your opinion.

Tummy Tuck versus Liposuction

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss and for deciding to follow a healthy path. The rewards are many!  Based on the submitted photos, it appears that skin laxity is also an issue in addition to increased pinch fold thickness (how many inches of skin and fat you can pinch). While it is true that younger skin will contract more than older skin, that property is highly variable even among patients in the same age group. Liposuction works very well to decrease pinch fold thickness and contour bulges. A Tummy tuck addresses skin tightness, addresses the stretchmark issue, and removes skin excess in addition to tightening the abdominal wall. So,  the procedure that would address all of your desires is certainly a tummy tuck; However...you are 19 and have not had a family etc...Liposuction would be a compromise in that it would address the excess fatty tissue.and you would get some skin contraction, without the longer recovery and the scar associated with a tummy tuck. Continued weight loss the natural way would also improve your shape and for a lot less money!  So ....  Liposuction if you need some improvement now or need a jump start to get back on your weight loss journey and are willing to accept looseness of the skin;  Tummy tuck if you are willing to accept the expense, the scars, and the recovery time. At age 19, I can certainly understand the desire to look your best, and you are taking the right steps to get there with your weight loss. I would seek a consultation with a few Board -certified Plastic surgeons who can do a more thorough examination and evaluation, and then weigh your options thoughtfully.

Best Regards,

Joel A. Williams, M.D., FACS 

Tummy Tuck versus Liposuction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best Regards,

Joel A. Williams, M.D., FACS 

Tummy Tuck Or Lipo? #

I agree with earlier comments. I think at 19 just continue to lose weight and have a well balanced healthy diet. The best time to have a tummy tuck is after you have had your children. Liposuction really only makes clothing fit better. It will not give you the overall contour and shape you are looking for.

Tummy Tuck Or Lipo? #

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

Thank you for your question.  In my opinion you should wait until you are older or have had all of your children to consider having a tummy tuck.  As you are 19 you could benefit from liposuction, but you say that you are still on your weight-loss journey, and so this is something you should consider once your weight has stabilized so that you get the best possible result.  I hope this helps.  

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

My opinion is that Lipo will not resolve the 2 main conditions of your abdomen that needs correction : separation of the abdominal muscles due to weight  gain and excess skin.

Lipo results will be poor, and since you have only 19 years old and not getting pregnant soon I suggest you should consider a tummy tuck to reconstruct your abdomen and enjoy your age with the clothes and activities according to it.

You may get pregnant after 2 years of the TT to let the muscles be more relax for  pregnancy.

At your age is better that you feel happy with your image, if after pregnancies you need a correction you may do it a second time.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

You can have a dramatic improvement with a tummy tuck and liposuction of the sides and back.

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

Liposuction often best for younger patients

From your age, description, and photos I would recommend liposuction. You should have an exam with a board certified plastic surgeon for best recommendations. 

Liposuction probably a better choice and abdominoplasty in this case.

There appears to be no significant laxity the abdominal wall. The skin appears to be in good condition. I think you'd get a good result from liposuction without the convalescence and morbidity of an abdominoplasty.

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

It appears that you have a number of stretch marks on your lower abdomen, That would point to the fact that your skin will likely not shrink well there with just liposuction. That being the case the tummy tuck is likely a better choice for you.

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction

A tummy tuck would be a great way to get a nice contour, based on your pictures, assuming you are otherwise a good candidate based on your medical history.  Technically you would be a candidate for liposuction - but I would expect you to have significant amount of loose, redundant skin if you did liposuction alone, and would not recommend going that route.  Adding some liposuction of the flanks in addition to the tummy tuck would enhance your result.  Congrats on the weight loss.
Take care.

Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction

Take care.

AT 19 consider a liposuction

Considering your age I would believe you would be a better candidate for liposuction than an abdominoplasty.  I would consider an abdominoplasty after your are finished having your family.   You appear to have descent skin elasticity which is the key to a good result from liposuction.  

AT 19 consider a liposuction