Thinning hair loss and balding (Photos)

I am 25 and want to get a hair transplant, but from my research lots of article says hair thinning is not suitable for hair transplant.So am i hair thinning or am i balding?thank you in advance for any advice

You need an examination to understand why you are losing hair before considering treatment options.

You need an examination to understand why you are losing hair before considering treatment options.  Hair transplant may make your thinning worse.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thining Hair in Men

Thank you for posting your pictures. Based on my limited evaluation of your pictures, you are thinning, but not balding. At your age, the best treatment course will be to control the thinning process so that you don't progress to balding early in your life. There are multiple modalities to help control thinning hair in men and women, and halt progression. These modalities include: 1. Finasteride (Propecia) - Only FDA approved pill for male pattern baldness. It blocks the conversion of testosterone to DHT in the hair follicles, which is the hormone that has the most negative effect on your follicles. This will happen even if you have normal testosterone levels in patients with a genetic predisposition. There is a genetic component inside the cells in the follicles that makes them more susceptible to DHT. This is probably the most cost-effective treatment, and definitely the most studied treatment to help control thinning and grow new hair in many cases. The only caveat to this treatment is that 1% of men report having issues with decreased libido. I usually recommend that patients take the actual brand Propecia (and not the generic formulation, finasteride), and that they take the pill in the morning rather than at night. Since all men are very aware of this complication, it is very hard to know when there is a problem if it is related to the actual chemistry of the drug or if there is a psychological component. Many men refuse to take the pill despite its efficacy. There are other modalities such as the low level light therapy that have shown similar efficacy without the side effects of the pill.2. Minoxidil (Rogaine) - The only other FDA approved treatment for hair loss. Mechanism is not well understood, most commonly believed to increase blood flow to the scalp. Comes in a 2% and 5% formulation. Can cause some scalp irritation. Like many of these treatments, once you stop using it, the effects will vanish. I tell my patients that hair is like muscle, if you go to the gym you will have strong muscles, the minute you stop going the results will go away.3. Low Level Light Therapy - These are the famous "lasers". They are not real lasers, but rather LED light that stimulates the follicles. Good results can be seen in 6-8 weeks. Now a days, there are many manufactures that make products you can buy and take home. I personally like HairMax Laser Band.4. Plasma/PRP - your own blood is used, and the platelet are separated and concentrated to be applied to the scalp. Studies have shown good results after an initiation phase of 3 treatments (1 month apart), and a booster at 6 months if needed. PRP treatments can be performed every 12-18 months for maintenance. Plasma injections will help patients with thinning, but will not stimulate follicles that are "dead".5. Hair Products - there are multiple hair products that are used for hair loss. Viviscal pills (sold on CVS, Walgreens) are great to use as a baseline. Take them on a daily basis as part of your multivitamins. In a few months you are going to notice a significant improvement on the strength of your hair. You will also need a scalp shampoo/treatment to unplug your follicles and remove all the debris that accumulates in them on a daily basis. I also add Ducray's NeoPeptide spray for men (also comes for women),  which adds topical herbs that prevent conversion of testosterone to DHT in the follicle. I like this product in particular because it is alcohol based, and it does not keep your hair grease like Rogaine does. I have noticed increased compliance. When you are balding, and you can see spacing in between your hair follicles, then hair transplant is the best option. The old method is the known as the "strip method", and it is associated with the tale-tell sign of hair transplantation: a scar in the back of your head. There is a newer method called: FUE Hair Transplantation that harvest each individual follicle without the need to cut the scalp. There is no scar in the back of your head. Results are very natural. The implantation technique for both techniques it is the same. I hope all this information was helpful to you.    

Thinning or balding at age 25

Hello, JohnKevin--Making a distinction between thinning and balding is kind of like splitting hairs, so to speak, since most--though not all--male pattern baldness begins as thinning. Certainly, at your age, you have to assume that the genetically programmed thinning/balding process will progress over the years unless you take action to halt it. Your best offense at this point is probably a good defense in the form of combination medical treatment: finasteride and/or minoxidil and/or low level laser therapy and possibly PRP/ACell. If you had to pick any one single treatment as most effective (and easiest and cheapest), it would be finasteride. Different surgeons take different approaches to younger men with hair loss, but most tend to be conservative. Something I ask my 20-something-year-old patients is, "Do you think you had more hair a year or two ago than you do now?" If the answer is an unequivocal "yes", I strongly suggest that they pursue medical treatment in an effort to stabilize things so that in another year or two the answer will be "no."  Either way, I would recommend seeing at least one experienced, full-time hair transplant surgeon who could advise you.Thanks for your question--hope this was helpful.

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

25 and thinning

In men, thinning is often a sign that you wil eventually lose more hair. Drugs like finasteride work well in men of your age and can often reverse the process. See a good doctor

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon