Swollen bruised lips after augmentation. (photo)

My lips are really bruises and swollen after the lip augmentation and they are really big.. Is this normal.. Ive been applying hot pads on them. I thought that might make them smaller.. Would that work?

Tips for reducing swelling and bruising after lip injection

Your concern is understandable. However, swelling and bruising are common side effects after lip injections, especially within the first 24 to 48 hours, and they will subside. For the next time, knowing how to reduce bruising and swelling prior to your next injection may help avoid them altogether. You can minimize bruising by not consuming certain ingredients that cause bruising such as green tea, ginger, and over-the-counter supplements like Omega‑3 pills. I recommend icing the lips immediately after injections and repeated sessions of icing on the lips for the first 24 hours can help relieve symptoms quicker. Elevated sleeping the first night is also recommended to reduce any swelling in the face and lips. The lips take about 2 weeks to settle with the new product in them. Be patient with your results, because the rate at which people heal and recover varies. If you are still concerned, consult your physician.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruised lips after filler

It is very common to bruise after your filler treatment. These will fade in about 1 to 2 weeks.Ask your doctor what they suggest. i like using Arnica pills and Arnika cream to speed up the resolution of the bruises.i also prefer cold ice packs after the treatment.hang in there....they will go away.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane

Swelling and bruising is common after lip augmentation with fillers. I suggest using ice instead of heat and allowing 10-14 days for optimal results. Best, Dr. Emer

Bruised Lips after augmentation

Lips are very vascular so they bruise easily and also swell.  Give it some time to settle (2-3 weeks) then go back to your injector for a follow up.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Bruise

It looks like you have a bruise after filler.  This will often go away on its own after about a week.  Best to ask your injector what he/she prefers.

Bruising After Lip Augmentation

It is quite normal to bruise after lip augmentation because of the generous blood supply.  It will settle down with time, try to be patient. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Swelling After A Lip Augmentation?

Thank you for your question and picture!  It is very normal to be bruised and swollen after a lip augmentation!  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board CertifiedPlastic SurgeonChicagoHoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and bruising normal after lip injections

Swelling and bruising after having injections in your lips is completely normal. Icing may help reduce the swelling and bruising, also taking arnica by mouth or applying the audited gel to the bruising may help. Your physician may also have a light to speed up the recovery process, I would give them a call to find out. Good luck!

Janet Allenby, DO
Delray Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising after lip augmentation

To answer your question, bruising and swelling are expected side effects after lip augmentation. I would actually be more concerned if there was no swelling after lip augmentation! Be reassured that the swelling will subside, though it can take up to two weeks for this to occur. Remnants of bruising can take a bit longer to subside, but this will be temporary as well. There is really not much that can be done to hasten this process, though many of my patients have reported success with Arnica. Hope this helps.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip filler

Hello, and thanks for your question. 
Post-filler swelling and bruising can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. Icing intermittently for brief durations may be helpful for the swelling. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  
Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon