Do I need surgery to fix the bridge of my nose?

I got hit in the nose with a softball about 9 months ago. When I got hit my nose bled for about 6 hours and it is now flat there? Will I need surgery to get that fixed?

Fixing nose after trauma

The nose does not need to be fixed after trauma if there is no significant change in the shape and also you are able to breathe well.

Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Fracture Repair

It sounds like you have sustained a nasal fracture and now have an indentation as a result of it. You would need surgery if you find the change in your nasal shape bothersome.

Nasal fracture

It is possible that you had a nasal fracture.  Best to be evaluated in person to see if it was fractured and needs repair.

shaynab11, only if it affecting your breathing or you don't like the appearance. In any event, see a facial plastic specialist with decades of experience. Search the Internet. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to fix a broken nose

Trauma to the nose can cause a displaced, or non-displaced nasal fracture. The upper lateral cartilages can also become fractured off of the nasal bones. If the nose changed shape after the trauma,  the only way to put it back is with surgery to reduce the crooked nose. For many examples of crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link and video below

Do I need surgery?

The 2 main reasons to pursue surgery after an injury is a new problem with breathing or a new cosmetic deformity. If you are concerned, I would suggest a formal consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon so your specific concerns can be gone over in detail, a physical exam be performed, and individualized recommendations be made. Good luck!

Your description is consistent with fracture of the nasal bones or cartilage

Thank you for your question.  While no photos were available for review, your description is concise and consistent with traumatic damage to the underlying nasal bone and/or cartilage.  Most traumatic nasal deformities do require surgical correction.  In my practice, I usually wait a minimum of 6 months to let the initial injured regions resolve before planning corrective nasal surgery.   Depending on the location, symmetry, and magnitude of your depressed post-traumatic nasal deformity, nonsurgical injection of hyaluronic acid may occasionally be an option to provide temporary relief.  It is best to seek a consultation with an experienced nasal surgeon to confirm your diagnosis and review your treatment options.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon