Am I starting to get symmastia? (Photo)

I have pectus excavitum so I am high risk. We used implants the same size as my breast width but they are getting really close together. My left one is dropping faster than my right, but I think that's fairly common. I'm 4.5 weeks out. When I bend over they don't seem to come together, and when i tighten my muscles they spread apart. If so, is there something I can do to stop it

BBA

Doesn't look like symmastia.  The best person to help you is your treating physician. I suggest you see them in person or see another board certified surgeon or physician in your area. An in-person evaluation is needed to adequately evaluate your situation and options.

The foregoing information provided is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only.
You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Synmastia?

It does not appear from your photos that you have synmastia.   It looks like you are on your way to a nice result.  Please follow up with your PS as scheduled.  Best wishes.

Am I starting to get symmastia?

It does not appear from your photos that you are developing synmastia. However, your pectus does make the implants slide toward the middle more than usual due to the curve of the chest wall. Overall, your surgeon did a very nice job. See attached web reference of a patient much like your situation. Thanks for sharing!

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

No synmastia

Your plastic surgeon did a great job.  In order to keep your nipples centered on your breast mound your implants have to be close together, in your case.  If the implants were further apart, your nipples would look "cross eyed".  Every surgeon has to deal with the anatomy presented to them, and in your case, he did a fantastic job and you have a result that is excellent and should only get better with time.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Do I have synmastia?

As long as there is muscle separating the two pockets across the sternum you don't have synmastia. I don't believe that this point wearing any specialized type of bra will prevent further movement of the breast past the intact muscle in the inside of the pocket. Ask your surgeon for their advice. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

No Symmastia

Don't wear any specialty bras, they are not going to help. They are a waste of time and they put the onus on you if something doesn't turn out right. The separation of your implants with pectoral contraction indicates you still have muscle keeping your implant from traversing the skin bridge over your sternum, and preventing true symmastia. 

If after 9 to 12 months from your surgery you are unhappy with your results, you may benefit from a surgery to reposition the implants.  I recommend you see a few revision breast specialist if your surgeon is not familiar this surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Do I have Symmastia?

You do not have symmastia yet based on your pictures, but your tissue is stretching out medially.  It is a good thing that your implants are under the muscle.  There is a bra which is designed to help in these situations.   I would suggest you see your plastic surgeon and discuss with him/her what are your best options to prevent symmastia.   If it does develop, it is a complex problem to correct and will require additional surgery to correct.  Good luck!

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Am I starting to get symmastia? (Photo)

Although this is not symmastia, your breasts are a little close. I would recommend  wearing a symmastia bra for a few months

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Not Synmastia

Your breasts are close together but you do not have synmastia.  Not much you can do at this point other than to observe and let your plastic surgeon know if there is any change. 

Symmastia

Thank you for your question. You still have some space between breasts, so I can not call as a classic symmastia. Please express your concerns to your PS