What do I ask my Rhinoplasty surgeon to do to achieve the results I want? (photos)

The picture of my profile on the left is of my current nose and the picture on the right is what I would look my nose to look like. The picture of the front view of my current nose is on top and what I'd like is on the bottom. I'm wondering what to say to my surgeon to get these results. (Straighter bridge, more difened pointed tip, narrower) what do I ask him to do to achieve this?? Thank you!!

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump reduction in narrowing the bridge line

When making the consultation for your rhinoplasty procedure, bring in your own morphed results to show your surgeon approximately what you would like the nose to look like. It is possible to narrow the bridge line, narrow the tip with a rhinoplasty procedure. The dorsal hump can be shaved down the tip refined and overall reduction of the nose to make it less projecting.  Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience, since it is one of the most difficult procedures to perform in the entire field of cosmetic surgery. 

Finesse Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. What is achievable in a Rhinoplasty is based upon your anatomy. You shouls see a surgeon who can perform computer imaging for you, That way, you can see realistically what can be done, and reconcile in your mind if your expectations are realistic.

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

I think that you can show him the photos and discuss with him the possibilities of achieving your goal.  Good luck.

Revision Rhinoplasty

Showing your surgeon photos of your desired result is a great place to start. From the photos you submitted, it appears that you have a "polly-beak" deformity which is frequently seen after a prior surgery fails to align the lower third of your nose appropriately.  In your front view, you have a broad nose that lacks tip definition.  A revision rhinoplasty could achieve results similar to what you desire, but I would suggest that you have your surgeon do computer imaging of your nose so that you can both agree on what final result you want to achieve from the surgery.

Gary Motykie, MD

Rhinoplasty Aesthetic Goals

Thanks for your post. Congratulations on searching for information regarding rhinoplasty to enhance your nasal appearance. Most patients seek to discuss their dislikes with a rhinoplasty specialist, who can then help identify those aesthetic goals for the kind of results you wish to see. Based on your images, your goals appear to be dorsal hump reduction to a softer profile, improved definition to the tip with a supra-tip break, improved dorsal aesthetic lines in the frontal view with decrease in nasal bone width and improvement in overall length with better shape to nostrils and alar base. Search for a reputable, experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon and arrange a consultation for examination and computer imaging studies. In my view, your case requires significant expertise for the best, most natural results. In expert hands, I believe that you would be an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty. Choosing the right surgeon may be the most difficult decision, but well worth the effort for you. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Results

From your photos you would require osteotomy of your nasal bones. Removing some of your lower lateral cartilage and reshaping to help refine the nasal tip. Also take down some of the caudal septum.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

What do I ask my rhinoplasty surgeon to get desired result

Thank you for the question and the pictures.    Show these pictures to your surgeon, this  a good way to illustrate your goals.  Your surgeon will inform you of what can be realistically achieved, what can not and why.    He/she may also do video imaging to help illustrate what is possible.            good luck

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Good eye

Thank you for your question.  From the photos you submitted, I would say you have a good eye for what you desire and the altered image looks natural and aesthetically pleasing. The fullness in the nose above the tip is often referred to as a "polly-beak" and is most frequently seen after surgery that fails to correct the lower part of the septum.  I have seen this however a number of times in people who have no had surgery before.   It appears you would desire correction of the "polly-beak" with creation of a "supra-tip break", and significant tip refinement without change in rotation from looking at the side view only. The changes proposed on the front view would not likely show as much nostril as is still showing in the profile, and does increase the rotation some. Some of those things are hard to visualize without experience.   If you were my sister, I would not have you go to a surgeon and have all these specific requests in surgical jargon.  I think you can bring these photos and see if the surgeon is willing to recreate something that realistically portrays your desires from multiple angles.  I think it is important that you can look at your photos together and after a good look at your nose to check your septum, etc, determine if these goals are reasonable.  In my opinion, they likely would be reasonable after minor changes.  I frequently will morph patients photos with the patient present to achieve a goal that we are both satisfied with, looks good and is surgically achievable. Keep in mind, these morphed photos are a communication instrument only, and should not be considered a guarantee of results.

Michael J. Nuara, MD