Protruding areolas 6 weeks and 4 days post-op from lollipop breast lift? (Photo)

I had a lollipop breast lift done 6 weeks & 4 days ago with a little reduction of my right breast. The areolas were left the same size, but they now look asymmetrical as do my breasts. My left breasts areola doesn't look smoothed out on the incision like my right. I'm worried it will stay like this. The lower part of my left breast looks also more drooped and larger then my right. The incision on the lower part of the vertical scar has not smoothed and is still sticking out? Should I be worried?

Protruding Areolae after Lollipop Lift

Most commonly, we prefer the lollipop or donut lift because of the shape, small scars and easier healing. Although the “anchor-shape” or inverted “T” incision is still more popular in the United States, it represents an older technique with extensive scarring and a less optimal result in many cases. These newer techniques are utilized in the vast majority of cases, the rare exception being extremely large breasts. The nipple-areola complex is repositioned higher, the excess skin is removed, and the breast is reshaped in a pleasing contour and in a more normal position.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk. Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible. Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation. 

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

If you are worried that your incisions or scars are not healing well, then it is a good idea to visit your surgeon for an examination of the area to determine how well the healing process is going.

Yes, they do look quite puffy. You need to give them 4-6 months minimum to settle down.  Best of luck.

Overall you have a nice result.  The areolas can be fixed by excising a bit more areolar tissue in a donut-type shape.  The excess skin on the lower pole of the breast can be excised horizontally or allowed to flatten out with time.  Best wishes, Dr. T.